Saturday, May 3, 2014

It's Just About Time To Depart!

About 8 months ago I posted an entry titled "Anxiety Low, Hearts Calm...So Far". Eight months on down the road, one Camino behind me and preparations completed I believe it would be fair to say that I am back in that moment again, about 24 hours from departure. With the retirement process behind me, the ankle rehab seeming successful and my pack sitting by the door ready to travel, I'm feeling suddenly quite peaceful about the whole thing. And the excitement is finally beginning to surface! I've been waiting for this moment and it's taken a bit longer to arrive this time...too many other distractions were taking priority, as they needed to. 

Annemarie and I just completed a nice 12 km wander at the lakes...no pack or anything, just a pleasant walk through the light drizzle. With everything pretty much packed and ready to go I have some time to spend with family, write a bit and contemplate what is to come the next two months. I've being receiving some nice messages and encouragement from family and friends including folks we met on the Frances last fall. All very supportive and certainly appreciated. 

I'm posting today from my iPad to refresh the process in my mind. It's been a while. I've taken a couple of photos of a pair who will be amoung my closest friends the next two months (yes Caitlin, Steve will be there too). Here is what they look like today after about 130kms of break in hiking. It will be very interesting to see how they look after the next 1,145kms! We'll have to wait for that one.


I fly out tomorrow evening and travel via Munich and onwards in to Madrid arriving Monday evening at around 5pm. I have a nice little hotel set up for the night by Atocha train station in the city centre  where I'll arrange a ticket the next morning for the high speed AVE to Sevilla....some 300km/hr...what a rush! I'm planning a full day and a half in Sevilla to run some errands, enjoy the festival and prowl the tapas bars. If the crowds are too overwhelming I'll consider walking out Wednesday, but an extra day to get past the jet lag and acclimatize to the heat (30-32 all next week) will probably be beneficial. There are a few sites in town that I would like to see that were missed during an earlier visit just over 4 years ago and on Stage 1 there are some impressive Roman sites to visit...the first of many

Thanks to all those who have supported and encouraged such an early return to Spain to walk again. It seems to have found a place embedded deep in my soul. Special thanks to Annemarie, Erin, Caitlin and Bryan who have encouraged and playfully teased me right through the process. Leaving you lot will be the hard part, but on second thought, it will be more peaceful;) Then there is the support from my extended family and close friends and others we've met along the way through the Camino process who I hope will soon become close friends. You each know who you are and hopefully know the positive impact you've had on my life. I hope to hear from each of you along the way.

Well, that's about it. Next post should come from Seviila in the bright hot sunshine of Andalusia!

Buen Camino!!

7 comments:

  1. Godspeed Geoff! Looking forward to your posts. Pieter-Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will follow you again with pleasure. Do you think you can do it without Anne-Marie next to you ? Hope you can. Just teasing. Have a nice time in Sevilla and a very good walk on your second Camino. Are you visiting Cordoba too ? Good luck and take care. Puck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff: Its 2:30 pm May4th in Victoria and you blast off on the first leg of your journey at 5pm today. We plan to see you off at the airport but wanted to get our best wishes on your blog now. We shall follow your progress with much interest and I will try and refrain from passing on too much fatherly advice to ensure the successful completion of each days walk!! You are away ahead of me now................... Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff, We are about to leave for the air port to wish you God Speed on your second Camino. Our blessings go with you. GT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Godspeed neighbor! enjoy yout trip - it sounds challenging and extraordinary. We will be thinking of you and will miss you! Liverpool plays Crystal palace in 90 minutes - let's hope MC trip up on the way. I'll keep you updated if I can! World Cup when you get back!
    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Geoffy, Hope your flight over went well and I'm looking forward to upcoming stories! Can you send me an email from your new address so I have it? Now, go find yourself a cold beer and take a nap. Big Hug! Erin

    ReplyDelete