Friday, May 9, 2014

Stage 2: Guillena to Castilblanco 20kms 28c (walking) 36c

A Beautiful, Sexy Voice (who knew?)

In spite of the title, today was all about the flowers...simply outstanding! A small taste...

After about four hours of sleep, up and away very early this morning to beat some of the heat. Everyone in the albergue was up early and we wandered out in small groups and slowly coalesced into a group of about 6 or 7. The walk today was a steady climb up off the Andelutian plain and I loved it as finally a chance to stretch my legs and to find my rhythm. As so often happens, there was a beautiful sunrise to cheer me along.


And with the sun came the flowers. Different types and varieties all gathered together to make for a memorable day. The birds were making their usual early morning sounds and it was one of the best mornings I have experienced in a while. Though that first morning of retirement was pretty good too.





Tonight I am staying in a municipal albergue where the host is quite the character..Pepe. There are 27 beds all in one room, so you soon get to know your neighbour well...no getting away from it! Last night was ok so will see how tonight goes. My bunk partner is a very nice woman from Germany and I sure hope I don't snore tonight. She said I was well behaved last night, though others were not:) it is what it is.


Time to go explore the town to find some lunch, then hopefully connect with home. Not too sure about this internet connection. Tomorrow the peddle hits the metal as it's 30kms to the next stop. The first17 are along a highway and the balance through a beautiful national park with a steep, high conclusion. With this heat it will be an early start and I want to be off the black top in about 3 hours, so I will walk my usual pace until I hit the park. Walking the highway in the dark is fine, I have lights and as it's Saturday, the road should be quiet at that time of the morning. Apparently I already have a rep for my pace as I stretched my legs for the last 6 kms. You have to walk your pace or risk injury. Lots of water consumed...so far so good.

Oh ya, the title of the story...so I'm walking along minding my own business and a young, some might say pleasing looking young German lady walks up along side me and asks me if I'm Geoff. Yes, I reply, and she tells me that she heard me in the albergue last night and did I know that I have.a beautiful and sexy voice? How does one answer that? ......mumble, mumble and walk on. What was that all about? Perhaps I need to pick up my pace a bit and keep my mouth shut!

Buen Camino

6 comments:

  1. That was quite an opening line!

    About snoring: everyone who knows they'll be sleeping in an albergue should be wearing ear plugs at night. If they're not, they're going to hear snoring. It's inevitable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the beautiful sexy voice...should I be worried??? AB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic sunrise picture! And the packs.... Takes me back! Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doing great Geoff, Just keep walking and at your pace none of the ladies will be able to keep up with you. Happy to hear that there are quite a few walkers so you can have company along the way. Proud of you. G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Geoff, Great to read your blog and to see some of the pics along the way. It looks and sounds fantastic. Mate (Aussie term of endearment!) I'd love to be out there on the road with you. Mind you, I'm no German stunner!! If you break down I'm sure Ken and I can stage a combined Australian/Canadian rescue mission - I'll carry your pack and he can carry you!! Well, maybe not, but I'll bet he's busting to get out there too. Have a great day. Buen camino, Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best. Instead of a German stunner, a stunned Canadian.

      Delete