Sunday, May 18, 2014

Stage 11: Merida to Alcuescar. 39kms, 7 hours, 34C

Of Processions and Sunrises:

 Last night we all went out for something of a farewell dinner as Merida is the place where the standard 10 day route ends and the walkers begin to lengthen their days depending in part on their current fitness and time line. We had a great meal and some sad farewells, knowing that many of us should not see each other again...but hey, this is the. Camino, and things happen. However, this is not today's story. Before we had dinner last night I walked into the cathedral to find a massive celebration in process.
And what happened next was special....in photos, cause that's all you'll need...






A band, important local folks, young people carrying the holy relics and even a Roman honour guard! Pretty cool and we had no idea this was in the works. I simply had gone into the cathedral to get a stamp for my Credencial....I ended up getting one after dinner at the Parador. After dinner there was a huge celebration in the streets, probably because Athletico Madrid had just upset Barca for the Spanish Football League championship, but more than likely It was to do with the pagent. I guess it just depends on where your passion lies! 

Had a bit of sleep in my hostel and was up early to prepare for along day. My hope was to be at the Roman built reservoir Proserpine before the sunrise...and I was:) Figured it might be a good photo op...and it was:) The reservoir was built around 100 bc to provide the water 6kms away to Merida via the aqueduct. Hope you enjoy!



And finally, finally I captured a stork in flight.
Not bad ...and it's only 7:30 am!

The days walk was long, hot but quite comfortable with a climb of of about 800' through the last third of the day, so quite doable. Lots of cows and even a few chickens along the way. Also a sudden infusion of cyclists in spandex... Merida is a kick off point for many peregrinos travelling in all sorts of ways. 


She was giving me the once over, and look, no fence!
Still some flowers but the heat is starting to win the batte.

Staying in a convent tonight...great showers, and dinner provided with some 27 beds in the dorm, but it won't be full. In lock out presently so sitting in a bar having just completed a 3 course meal, a beer, a large bottle of water and two glasses of vino tinto. That will carry me until dinner...in 3 hours. I can't get out of the convent until 7am so it will be a late start, with a hot day on the docket and a 39.5km hike to Caceres I won't be in until 2pm, heat of the day. Perhaps I can tie a bunch of sheets together and escape from the 4th floor!
Happy birthday Annemarie. Wish I was celebrating with you...come to think of it, I am. Just a few hours earlier than you! A quarter of the way home love, 258kms...now that is special!

Buen Camino!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering what your long day would be like. I didn't realize you would have another one tomorrow! All your training must be paying off. 40 km is a long day, though--take care and stay hydrated. Like you need my advice!

    You've been lucky with festivals on this trip. First Seville, then Merida. Who knows what other experiences lie ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geoff, My comments have been getting wiped recently but I'll try again today. Great experience and sights in Merida. Wow! If they'd realised who you were they might have hoisted you on one of those platforms and paraded you out - after all no one walks nearly 40kms in a day unless they can also walk on water!! Did I see your feet on the water in one of those sunrise shots at the reservoir? I'll bet you are turning all that water into vino tinto too!!

    Happy birthday Annemarie. I was at my grandson's 5th birthday party yesterday so you two must share a birthday.

    It's amazing to think that you are a quarter of the way there already. I guess that's the thing with walking - one step after another. No step feels like much but they all add up. Makes sense of that old saying - a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

    I hope this post gets accepted. Do you have an Aussie block on your blog set up?

    Take care and have a great day. Buen camino

    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete