Sunday, May 11, 2014

Stage 4: Almaden de la Plata to El Real de la Jara 16 km, 3 hours, 32C

Sheep Wrestling...or, Did Someone Get His Plate Number?

Before I left home I was reading that one has to look out for the dogs along the way as they see few peregrinos on the Plata and can become somewhat aggressive. No where, I repeat, no where did I hear anything at all about sheep attacks. I'm here to tell you, these attacks do happen on the Plata...and I lived to tell the tale! 

Walking along through a flock of sheep, and some very big nasty looking dogs too, I thought I had safely negotiated my way through and had just stepped aside to let the last few sheep pass. Well, the last sheep decided to suddenly accelerate directly at me...I might add without provocation or warning. There was nothing I could do to prepare, it took me out at the knees, as nice an open field tackle as you will ever see on the rugby pitch. Ass over tea kettle is I think the correct description. I think the sheep was as surprised as I was! I remember all this soft sheep wool, a hard thump on my jaw and my poles, pack and hat going in all directions...to funny and unfortunate not to have a photo to remember it by. I was and am fine. A cut on my chin, which forced me to shave today (to give it time to heal). Here are a few photos of his tribe and a few of the other critters along the route today...


Other pals along the way today include, the famous black pigs. Fed acorns from the oak trees in the fall, they develop a special flavour when converted to jamon. Much sought after and in demand. Thankfully the pigs don't attack peregrinos;) 

Here are a few more critters...



So back to the beginning. It was so hot yesterday that everyone was exhausted and dehydrated, so we simply spent the afternoon sitting in the shade drinking massive amounts of water and cold beer, in equal quanties. Ela commented on the way back to our albergue that she was so tired that her brain had no more words. None of us were too sure what today would bring as it was so noisy outside our window last night, but we all slept the sleep of the dead last night. My first sleep longer than a few hours in a week. Brilliant!!!

So today was a short stage. Most people chose to do it this way, breaking up what would otherwise be a 37 km stage into two days. Particularly as it is just too darn hot to trek that far unless you are a real keener...I'm not. So we slept until 6 and found breakfast on our way out of town.
Off past the local village bull fighting ring and then onto find your morning sun rise.



I walked through some hilly terrain today, nothing too strenuous with a few steep slopes. Oak trees on the hillsides and many varieties of multi coloured flowers streamed along both sides of the tril. In a word, breathtaking! I finally found the peace and tranquility I'd been seeking since arriving in Spain. Birds everywhere, temperature moderated by a nice breeze in my face and except for an unexpected sheep encounter I had finally found my rhythm. The pack weighed less and the sky was blue...




Home sweet home tonight.


It's my turn for the top bunk!

Buen Camino, and Happy Mothers Day to those fine Mothers in my life!

4 comments:

  1. The sheep must've been attracted by your sexy voice.

    Have you developed a preference for the top bunk over the bottom bunk or vice versa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Geoff, you're getting me worried now. Ken and I may really have to mount a rescue. Coming from a country where there are many more sheep than people this will not be well understood here. Mind you, people are more understanding when I tell them that the sheep are 6 feet high there and VERY short sighted!! Glad you survived to tell the tale. To add another voice into this discussion I have Sarah next to me feeling just as restless to be on the road. I'll hand over to her to say a few wise words...Sarah: hi Geoff (and Ken and Annemarie!) - this way looks gorgeous! I don't know if it is selective photography (and your photos are great), but it looks v. rural so far and really interesting country. Interested in your thoughts about the different 'feel' of the way compared with Camino Frances - even from here, the South seems to have a different kind of flavour. Thanks so much for letting us in on the journey - as Neil says, we both want to be out there (though I must confess to my feet still not feeling quite as robust as they need to be for the next round!!). Buen camino from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A case of mistaken identity! The sheep must have thought you were an Aussie, mate. Remember the lines "Down came a jumbuck^ to drink at that billabong. Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
    And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag
    You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.
    ^ Jumbuck is an Australian slang word for sheep. So the sheep was quite within its rights to take you out at the knees - anyway - good practice for when you come to Australia - our boxing kangaroos will give you a run for your money but at least you will be able to stand up to them and look them in the eye. Enjoying your blog immensely - keep up the amazing photos. Like may others, I wish I was there too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Geoff, At least it was not the other way around and you are out on the open range practicing your rugby tackles. Hot weather can do that to a guy! I clearly remember the last one you made on the rugby pitch - nice and low.........And remember cows always come in high so keep your eyes open. Watch were you walk Don

    ReplyDelete