Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Stage 7: Fuente de Cantos to Zafra 26 kms, 5 hrs (unexpected), 31C, Hot!

Day Dreaming Can Cost You!

A very nice stretch of road today, but before I bring things up to date, a photo or two of the albergue last night...almost finished, but open...we peregrinos suffer...

They really know how to look after the walker in this town! I'm finding that with the minimal traffic on this route, in 2013  2,000 started in Sevilla and 9,000 completed in Santiago (vs 168,000 on the Frances) that the albergues I've so far seen are in better shape, newer and less crowded. This may change as I head north, but others have found the same. Dinner last night, better salada mixa too,
On with today, sat drinking wine late as the moon set, but was up early and walking as the same mom set...so the sunset picture is preempt end today.
But moments later, there was a sun rise which never fails to make the start of my day a positive experience...what will today bring? Usually something very good.
The dY started with a very unhappy, large dog trying to get me to move along a bit quicker, and from there it just got fun. There were was the small cat that came out of the dark and rubbed up against my leg as I was shooting the moon...got rid of that shot, it's a bit, ok a lot blurry
Then there were the the sheep and their beautiful sounding bells, with lambs...
And then I became distracted looking at country storks...different from their city cousins who nest on church towers, the country storks seem to enjoy hydro poles. Then there are the clusters of small birds who seemingly nest on the underside of the large nests. I'll have to confirm this with fellow peregrino John, who is a serious birder and is getting me interested in the subject. 

Somehow I became so preoccupied with the numerous storks flying around me that I missed a marker and walked down a different road...it happens. Eventually realizing my error I pulled out my next to useless map and useful compass and figured out where I should be. Decided to cut across some fields, but eventually found a stream in my way so boots off and around my neck and into the water...there was oozy mud on the bottom, but fish, so a pretty decent water way. Felt really nice on my hot feet! On the other side, prepped my feet and booted up, then found a marker and off I went again. Who knows, perhaps my detour was shorter! I did find a very cool stork feather for my trouble and it now forms a part of my hat...looking less and less Tillyish:)
Then onwards over some very scenic country side. The process of walking alone is I think the best part of the shank portion of the day. On the F ranches, I was always looking ahead for the open road. I never have to look further than just down the road on the Plata because I rarely see another sole, except the occasional farmer who always returns my friendly wave.


Pretty soon I'm going to have to make some decisions concerning breaking away completely on my own. It's a tough one and I'll have to consider this at Merida. It difficult because I'm enjoying the evening company of the folks I'm walking in tandem with , but they won't complete in time for me to complete and get to Muxia on the coast. I might be able to make a few small distance adjustments, but eventually I know I'll have to make the break and move on by myself. Anyone who has completed some sort of trek or distance endeavour knows what it means to have good company in the evening, and I have that in spades. I could wave the idea of walking to Muxia and add the 4 days on to the Plata. Will have to see. There is a certain part of me that wants to make the break and challenge myself to go it alone...there will always be more people to meet. At least I'll have a few minutes to think this through before Merida!

The entry into Zafra was about as odd as I've experienced. The arrows direct you to the rail line and the. In through the rail yards...some welcome, but once into town it looks like a pretty interesting city.
There is actually an arrow on the old water hose system on the right. 
Old train station, built during WW I.
I arrived a couple of hours ahead of most folks today, so showered, laundry done and blog completed. Now it's time to meet for a cold beer an a bit of food, then I want to walk around and see this city. The albergue San Francisco is very good and being early I scored a single bed! Bonus!!
Found this on a wall on the way into town today...kind of humorous..156 kms walked, a short 21 tomorrow and then a solid 28kms will get me one day from Merida and a single room:)

Buen Camino!

3 comments:

  1. The albergues where you've been staying are pretty nice. A real pool! Who would think to bring swimming trunks on the Camino?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geoff

    My comments keep getting wiped. V frustrating. Am experimenting. This one seemed to get through but six of my attempts these past days have not. Be assured they were witty, wise, and encouraging. I am entranced by your amazing photos - are you using your phone? And grateful for your sharing of some of the inner dialogue and thoughts re your own journey. Keep walking peregrino and may the amazing countryside, townsfolk and villagers continue receive and bless you. N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff, what was in your salad the night before? - to be hallucinating about all those animals and birds. Wow! must have been a big night. Then going down the wrong path! Your mind is straying and your body is following. Stay focused peregrino. There was an amazing full moon in Oz tonight and I cast a thought that you might be appreciating it also, in peace and tranquility somewhere in a remote part of Spain. Perhaps that explains the weird behaviour of the animals who have been known to go a little crazy on a full moon. Fascinating reading, - enjoying the journey with you from 10,000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete