Sunday, May 25, 2014

Stage 17: Aldeanueva to Calzada de Bejar 22kms 19C Sunny

Football!!!:

A short entry today because I typed a nice entry then lost it all, so too tired to redo. Suffice it to say, today was indeed an interesting day...the day after Real Madrid claimed the Championship in double overtime! It was fun to sit in a pro-Real bar and watch the locals suffer until injury time for the goal that tied the game and sent it into overtime. Here is the crew;

We sat outside until it was too cold then moved inside. A cold wind off the snow peaks that continued this morning, except a very strong headwind that made walking more work as I headed up hill along the highway. Morning sunrise...
Too much highway walking today...but such is this part of the Camino, and I was leaving a nice little town to boot.


The rad walk had a bit of confusing signage and I'll admit I made a wrong turn...dumb sign! Added a couple of kilometres I didn't need. 

Nice town of Banos along the way...

As I said...up into the mountains today...
Any way, after the long couple of days, the late night of football and the fun today, I'm a tired peregriono so will stop short here.

Thanks for all the emails, I will reply when some energy available, but always gratefully received.

Buen Camino

2 comments:

  1. Hey Geoff, Kati and I have been following your trek across Spain between running operations and keeping track of the whales. It is always an event to watch a sport with a local crowd, but pretty special to catch the European Championship with a bunch of locals cheering on their team. As I discovered it is always best to cheer for the home team, makes for a better vibe all around. I like the trails you are walking. It must at times seem like you are walking in another period of history - watch out for Don Quixote on his horse Rocinante rounding up the wind mills! ....now about this snow thing. As a good Canadian you should have no problems with a bit of snow, even a touch of ice, but I know you left your snow shoes by the door at home so go carefully. Travel well. Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Photos. Can feel the serenity in the air. Hope you are feeling better. 16 days to go. Cheers L.

    ReplyDelete