Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Salamanca: Mixed Weather 19c

A Nice Break!

I've spent the past couple of days wandering in and out of churches, museums, small shops and enjoying the streets of this pleasant city. There is much to see, and even on my own it has been a good experience. When tired of this I've ive sat in Plaza Mayor and taken a break...
I spent time in the Covent of San Esteban pretty much by myself and thought it pretty good.





Last night I went for a late walk to see the city lit up. I wasn't  disappointed. 



The thing is, when I returned to my hotel my entry key didn't work. There isn't a 24 hour desk so I was stuck! Waited around for a while until a sympathetic French couple let me in, but the key wouldn't work on my room either. So I managed to have the French couple lend me their phone and I called the emergency number and 15 minutes later I had a new key. It could have been a very long night!

Just in from getting a late lunch and groceries for tonight and tomorrow. Plan to walk out tomorrow morning and return to the Camino. I've been through all my gear, washed whatever needed it and it's ready to pack tomight. I'm not sure if I'm completely ready yet, but it's time to give it a try. Two days to Zamora, but I will have company as Nigel from Bayonne, France and Willy from Belgium walked in today and told me that they plan to continue tomorrow. So dinner company with some of the original gang tomorrow evening which makes me happy. Oli walked in as well, but I know from an earlier conversation that he plans a day here, as he should. We will likely connect in Zamora as I have two nights there. He should catch up with me at that point. Time for a nap and then a skype home...tough life!

Addendum: I am at 2,800 ft or 800+M here and firmly on the Meseta. For you peregrino types you will know what that means, and I'll be crossing the southern part of the massive Meseta for the next 7-8 days. In a very few days I'll finally be leaving the northern Plata and starting to move in a NW direction towards Galicia, the mountains and Santiago. I just bumped into Willy who will finish his Camino in Zamora and return home to Belgium. Another nice person moves on...hopefully we will connect in Zamora before he departs. 

Buen Camino!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Geoff, Glad to hear you are feeling better and ready to head out again. Nice night shots from your evening wanderings. You know if you hang out any longer someone might think you are on a holiday, so off you go so us at home can see more of the trail. Cheers, Don

    ReplyDelete