Monday, May 26, 2014

Salamanca: 20 C, Sunny in a Special City

On Camino Sometimes Things Just Happen:

Yesterday afternoon I made the decision to leave the Camino and took a bus to Salamanca. Without all the gory details, I have an infection probably picked up in an albergue and another minor issue. Life in the albergues is different than normal life, and for me getting adequate sleep was challenging, so I was probably a bit run down. I have been to the hospital this morning and have a one time dose of antibiotic and some other meds that should fix me up pronto.
I was up early and walked over to the University Hospital figuring that the Spanish are late night folks and late morning risers. I got in quite quickly and was out in three hours. By the time I left the place was a zoo. Many people here do not have a doctor (sound familiar?) so they come to emergency for everything. With my limited Spanish and their limited English all was sorted out.

I'll stay here for 3 more nights to rest, catch up some missing sleep and see this amazing city. Then will probably walk out on Thursday and cross to Zamora in two days (68kms) where I will rest again for two nights to make sure all is well before tackling the last 430 kms to Santiago. That's my plan for now and of course subject to "little adjustments". Otherwise all is well and I'm excited to be here, though it cost me 3 walking days and 70 kms. It was the correct decision as the town I caught the bus from was the last place I would have had access to public transport until Salamanca. But that's in the past and now I can look forward to some fun here. I'm in a four person suite in a great hotel with a brilliant shower where I can cook meals...I can thank Annemarie for finding this gem! $90/night!

A funny story along the way yesterday...having made the tough decision to jump ahead I received some great moral support from Jessica (German) and her partner Benito (Spanish) who between them managed to write out my symptoms in Spanish to take to the hospital...it wasn't needed as this morning I used a translation app and wrote it all out before I even left the hotel. BUT, it shows the support everyone on the Camino provides to each other...again a great lesson. Oli walked me down to get the bus information and the ticket and his Spanish is pretty good. The funny part...I climb onto the bus and I hear a "hi Geoff"' and I look up to see Angela smiling at me! You might recall an earlier post where I mentioned that Angela and I connected on line through the Camino forum some months ago. She has also just retired and lives in Sidney, Aust. We met up in Sevilla the night before I walked out, but she wasn't ready to leave yet having not seen the city. We exchanged a few emails along the way these past weeks, so I was pretty surprised to see her on a bus. What were the odds! She has abandoned the Plata because of the long stretches and the loneliness (which I really enjoy) and will meet a friend in Pamplona this weekend to walk onwards to Santiago along the Camino Frances. I've learned that the Plata is not for everyone, and many do abandon at some point. So Annemarie, someone new for you to meet in Australia next winter.

Tme to take my meds and go get something to eat and wander. These are from the sunrise this morning as is the top image...indirect sunrise. More photos tomorrow.


Buen Camino!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're doing okay and that the problem is nothing major. A few day's rest and you'll be back on the road like nothing happened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff, looks like a great adventure so far. Enjoy some rest to retain new energy and you be back on track soon. Take care! Pieter

    ReplyDelete