Saturday, May 10, 2014

Stage 3: Castilblanco to Almaden de la Plata 30km. Extremely hot...40c

Hot!!!!!!!!

As you can tell from the title it was a brutally hot walking experience. The official high temp on line was 35C, but you have to remember that the official temp is based on controlled measurement. On the trail it was much hotter, I use 40, but today I carried the most water I have ever hauled...2.5 litres and I drank it all...every drop. My shirt, hat, and shorts were completely soaked when I arrived. I think the last climb of the day did it...after 28 kms it was steep! We are all sitting here debating the slope, but conscenses is difficult to find from a bunch of beer sodden, tired peregrinos. Too much work! View from the cross at the top, looking where we are finishing. Generally we are getting much higher now at about 500m above where we began.
It was a pretty funny start today as many folks were up at 4:30 to beat the heat. Problem was that the door wasn't unlocked until 6am. As we all poured out into the dark all geared up, it probably looked like we had escaped from the asylum! Off into the dark, and I walked this morning by myself through the early morning coolness and the birds and morning sounds helped me along on the long steady climb. 18 kms of highway walking was a bit gruesome, but a very nice Brit joined me for the remainder of the journey which helped to pass the time. Good sun rise today too.

Once off the road it was into a beautiful national park where the road was lined with cork trees and flowers...well, you know how I feel about stuff like that:)

As you can see, the heat has dried the arroyos completely...you walk on the blocks when the water is floating.


A bit more scenery from the day...the cows must have being saying, "dumb peregrinos, come join us under the tree".



Any way we are all in safe and sound nd rehydrating with beer...and water. Tomorrow is Sunday so planning is needed as most things will be closed.

One last thing, we found the storks last night...it was great!



My home for the night...that's my underwear drying just inside the door.


Happy Mothers Day, Mom! Not sure where I will be, but will connect if I can. A shorter, easier day tomorrow as too far to jump towns...but same temp expected.

Buen Camino 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking all those pictures despite the heat and your exhaustion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the heat adds another dimension to long distance walking, - over the Camino Frances. A fascinating journey so far. Looking forward to the story unfolding. Found any Michelin rated restaurants yet?

    ReplyDelete