Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Stage 18 (finally):Salamanca - El Cubo de la Tierra del Vino 36 kms, 6.5 hrs, 19 C, low cloud

It always seems impossible until it's done.  
                                                - Nelson Mandela

My daughter Caitlin has been sending me inspirational quotes as I continue on my journey. I really liked this one as it suits so many of my walking days, and I leaned on this one a bit today.  Thanks Cait.

Well, I did it. The first few kilometres were a bit shaky, but eventually I found my legs and by the time I'd walked 15 kms my training seemed to kick in and I walked comfortably for the remainder of the day. My legs are. Bit tired, but they will be fine tomorrow. It was an interesting walk out of Salamanca, but first the sunrise...
As I headed out of town it was past the bull fighting arena and next to the ring I found the Red Cross and in front of it...this!
Even further down the road I found a major surprise in a metal recycling business...
A few more round abouts and a number of highway kilometres and finally I was off road and on my way. 
It came as a bit of a surprise to see at least 7 other peregrinos early on. Then I remembered that Salamanca is often a departure and arrival city for the Plata. The last town transited today came at the 16 km point and only 2 of us continued on. This means that at 9:45am 7 peregrinos had decided to stop for the night! I gave this some thought as I walked on and it dawned on me that the new arrivals were not yet trail hardened for a 36km stage and stopped at the last place available. I guess my question would be, then why depart so early? But of course they would be excited and the adrenaline running. I get it!

The signage has changed...gone are the arch topped boxes, now it's posts...
Fortunately what has not changed are the abundant flowers. Having travelled over 500 kms north, spring is keeping pace which is brilliant...if you like flowers.
About half way into the walk today I caught up and walked with a late 20's fellow from Berlin who was very pleased to hear I was Canadian as I must be that Canadian. Apparently as he walks up to 50 kms per day he has crossed pathes with many of the folks who walked and socialized with me. That was a pretty cool experience, and apparently they are looking for me. Figure I'll catch up with a number of people in Zamora where I will stop for two nights and they will come into town while I'm there...hopefully.
A few more from today...

It should be clear now that I'm walking on the Meseta...long rolling hills...great for meditative walking as hard to miss your step. Though perhaps a photo of my credential would br in order at this time;
Just two pages left, so probably good that I have a second credencial.

Staying in a very nice albergue tonight. Actually ended up with my own room at a good price. The lady of the house will also be making me dinner tonight...wonder what we are having? No doubt something good as we are on a working farm and they always eat well on farms at home, so...

33 kms tomorrow to the Parador in Zamora! Can't wait to see what that looks like.

Buen Camino!

2 comments:

  1. Okay that looks better Geoff as you start to knock off a few km. 39 to be exact. I am off to walk 3 blocks through the rain of Vancouver to my morning meetings. I think you have the better scenery. Adios for now. Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another long day and another set of beautiful photographs! Thanks for sharing!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete