Monday, May 12, 2014

Stage 5: Real de la Jara to Monesterio 32c 21kms 4 hours brilliant blue sky!

Tough Crowd!

I knew when I posted those two stories about the sexy voice and the sheep's frontal assault that I would be hearing about it from certain Camino friends who have named themselves (and others from home who have not). it was inevitable. However, when one walks the Camino truth and integrity is much of what you carry so I couldn't very well avoid it. Besides, the stories were funny, but not sure my Aussie friends will be wanting to take me out to meet their mates! "Is this the blok you were telling us about who was taken down by a sheep? A single sheep? Not a whole flock and three nasty dogs?" Maybe as Neil says I can modify the story to the 6' high Spanish sheep! Any way, this is where the sheep belong if they can't behave better. Note the fence!
In any event, on with today's walk. Nasty hot night in the albergue last evening, and there was also a bit of snoring going on as well. Needless to say, there wasn't much point on hanging around in bed this morning. Up at 5:30 and on the road by 6:15, alone today on the road. It was time to break away and just have some solo time. One of the best results was that I was able to pass by the ruins of Castillo de las Torre in the early light...

Then off I walked with head light blazing the way, and cows eyes shiny back at me from eaither side. It was about as good as it gets! There were mountains to my right which held back the heat of the rising sun for a time, but eventually it crested and things started to heat up a bit, but the walking remained outstanding.


I quietly left Andalusia and moved into the region of Extremadura...no obvious marking, just a change in the route markers.
The country side begins to change here, moving away from the rolling clustered hills of the last few days and into a wider valley with higher hills in front...not always the best of news. After about 11 kms at this old church San Isidro...
...I began the climb up to the pass where the Cruz del Puerto stands. Not the highest pass I've ever climbed, but a good reminder about what the uphill grind will become as I move forward and a great test for my ankle. Natasha, if you are reading this, you can tell Kim and Mark that all your good work has so far paid off nicely:). 

These 8' tall sheep were better behaved...

It's about 350m to the pass so not too nasty. Here are a couple photos for the climb and the summit.
I started the day on the far side of the furthest hill, basically the last one.

Almost there...
At the top with a few pals.

i arrived in town and went to the albergue which was open, but the volunteer was not there...door open. By the tme I'd showered, changed, done my wash and had lunch he was back. They have a special connection with the Canadian Co of Pilgrims at this hostel, so my photo was taken, recorded and sent off for viewing in London, Ont. Not that many Canadians, so they keep track of us. Here is the hostel...very nice and clean. Parroquial de Monesterio. 


Time for a short nap! From dinner last night...a great time!

Buen Camino! Tomorrow down hill a bit:)



4 comments:

  1. It always feels strange when the hospitalero isn't around when you arrive, but it's nice that you weren't locked out until he, or she, returned. What was on the menu del peregrino?

    Great photos again and thanks for taking them as you climbed the mountain in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff, It's now our morning ritual to read your blog and get a little taste of the amazing walk you are doing. We are blown away by the countryside and by how delightfully isolated it appears. How does it relate to your experience on Camino Frances - what resonances and differences are you sensing at this stage? Just knowing you are out there is motivating me to walk more myself. Mind you, an Australian walking through a suburb called 'Bruce' (which is where I live) is as ordinary, as a Canadian being knocked over by a 10 foot (was it) sheep in the middle of Spain, is strange!! Thanks to David for sharing a bit of Aussie culture in Waltzing Matilda. If you fall and role down the other side of that hill we've got a good poem for that too. It's called 'The Man from Snowy River.' If you manage to stay on your feet I'll read it to you when you visit the land down under next year. Buen Camino, warm peregrino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom just pointed out where you were on the map....gosh you've got a loooong way to go! Good luck with that! We are just enjoying some wine on the sunny back deck..! Watch out for the sheep and young ladies with questionable hearing! Love Cait

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff,
    I'm wondering how you are today after the sheep attack. I and if you had any sore muscles also I suppose the chin is a little uncomfortable. I didn't notice that your beard had been shaved off. Nice pics especially the self portrait. Thanks for the beautiful posies delivered by two lovely ladies. Enjoying your blog. Blessings G

    ReplyDelete