Friday, May 23, 2014

Stage 14: Embalse to Grimaldo 20kms, 3.25 hours, mixed, no rain, 19C

A Good Find!

Had a good sleep last night...must have been the great company, the food I carried all the way in and possibly something to do with the hot chocolate and brandy just before bed. We sat up late visiting as has become the norm and I find these to be the special times along the way. The rain finally cleared and we spent time trying to get our gear dried out. Something of a process, but walking in wet boots is not pleasant. Here are a few shots of the alburgue from last night.

The sunset was pretty good and will have to do for today because I woke to grey skies and pretty flat weather. 

As I said, it was pretty grey this morning and the walk was pretty grey too...
...until I reached the small town of Canaveral and began to climb....then it became interesting.


Passing over the top of the mountain I found myself in a completely different micro climate and vegetative area with Pondarosa type pines at the top, beautiful cork trees as I descended and at the bottom oak trees showed up.
   


As you look at some of these photos you begin to see the type of trails I'm often walking along...narrow pathes which are so different from the Frances. Just not the number of boots damaging and widening the pathes on the Plata. It's very special.

I was starting to think I'd missed the turn to Grimaldo and would have to walk on a further 20 kms to Galisteo, but quite suddenly there was a small sign and a tiny path leading a kilometre to the village. The albergue is by donation, and is probably the worst facility I've seen in my travels including my early backpacker days. 15 beds, one bathroom and on it goes. I claimed a bed and walked off to find another place I'd heard about. Talked to the owner and for $30 I had one of 2 beds in a very nice room with its own bathroom. Excellent! 
Oli came along later and I offered him the other bed, which he took in a heart beat. The place has 3 rooms, is new this year and a total of  8 beds. The price also includes a nice breakfast. It was full within a couple of hours as peregrinos who could aford the bump up in price took a look at the first place then came in search...word gets out. No wifi here in the entire village so will post this tomorrow from where ever I finish up. I'm planning to go 20 kms to Galisteo and if I can find a place will stop there as it's protected by Moorish walls, complete with minarets. If not I'll have a look see, then walk on to Carcaboso and from there catch a ride across to Plasencia on Saturday morning. We shall see. Everything is fluid and I'm not looking foward more than a day or two. Living in the moment...a nice place to be:)

Buen Camino 

1 comment: