Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Stage 6: Monesterio to Fuente de Cantos 22kms, 4 hours, 28C...most pleasant

A Day of Changes:

For any one who has experienced a Camino it becomes a normal part of the daily process to continuously transition... from one environment to another, from town to town, bed to bed, emotion to emotion...whatever, there is continuous change. I find these changes to be greatly anticipated and I enjoy them completely...it keeps the journey fresh. Endeavouring to make this journey as spontaneously as possible, I had no idea what to expect today and the transition and emotion that It was to generate. But first the sunrise...

I departed early with Ela and we each went our separate way at the edge of town. Most peregrinos on this route either walk in a group or alone, with the majority in the latter category...me too. As I sort of stumbled along in the dark I initially found it difficult to find my rhythm and was initially a little frustrated. However, I reminded myself that not every day will be a "dance"  across the country side and accepted that this would just be one of those days. That accepted, I slowed down and decided to focus on just two things, photography and meditating. The first was easy as it was such a beautiful morning, the second took a bit more effort. Usually the second comes to me when I'm walking at my comfort pace, but moving slower made it a bit more challenging. So I decided to put on some favourite tunes and just let go. It seemed to work, but what really kicked things into gear was this view that suddenly came into sight...
Having walked through trees and hills thus far and really enjoying everything (perhaps excluding the extreme heat) it was something of a surprise to find myself in central Alberta, Canada today! I think I was drifting when I saw this view, and I quickly woke up...and found my rhythm. Just look at what captured my attention...
The trial wandered along the edge of the tree line, before finally moving northward and into the open prairie.
A self portrait on a Spanish Broom bush...
And then it was onto the grass lands, technically wheat lands, for good.


Moving more quickly along, it was walk and photograph all the way in. Briefly spoke with a fellow from Lucca, Italy who has walked extensively, but otherwise I didn't see another soul all the way in. There were storks and other birds keeping me company, and a few goats and pigs, but not much else of note. But there was scenery galore and of course the flowers:)


I began my day in the distant hills...
Almost in to town, and what a welcome!


As my daughter Caitlin posted here last night, "you've got a loooong way to go!"
But progress is being made...it's not a race. So far this route has far exceeded expectations. Simply beautiful and inspiring. I think that like our experience on the Camino Frances, its come down to a few key ingredients; special people, special places and having a positive mind set. The rest simply falls into place.
Buen Camino, and heart felt thanks to all for the amazing support, emails and all...particularly appreciate David's song and Neil's promise of a poem...will take you up on that in February or March! Will most likely require a cold beer while listening to the recital! Very excited to finally visit your neck of the woods. 

Last note, I have been asked many times about the differences in the Caminos, and thought I would take a stab at answering this at my first rest stop in Merida. A rest day in a purple room that Annemarie has booked for me...must mean she really likes me!

3 comments:

  1. Like Neil, your blog is becoming something I look at every morning before I do anything else, and it's motivating me to walk more. But walking in Regina isn't the same as walking in Spain, even when the countryside looks similar! For one thing, there's no café con leché here!

    I loved the meseta--thanks for the beautiful photographs of the wheat and the poppies and the big sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a long way to go is relevant Geoff. If is not the distance ahead but the number of experiences on your path. Getting to where you are going is just an end point. As you are doing - enjoy every moment. If I had ever thought of the distance I was to travel back in the day, I am sure I would never have got out of bed on that first day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right Geoff, the prairies especially Alberta. Takes me back to my childhood and other times I my life. I was away early this morning so I am writing this at 8:30pm that would be about 5:30 in Spain. Rise and shine and on the road another day of adventure awaits you. G.

    ReplyDelete