Sunday, April 27, 2014

Via de la Plata: Gear for a Spring Camino


Its been suggested by another experienced distance walker that I list my gear for future reference. If your eyes glaze over at the thought, no problem...simply read no further:)

If you've decided to read on...perhaps you share the same curiosity about gear. Obviously gear weight and functionality are pretty important on a long distance shank based wander. My journey starts well south where temperatures can be very hot and will transition to cooler, high elevations and possibly wetter climes as I move towards the northwest coast of Spain. 

An electronic aside. I could carry a little less stuff in this category. Likely no one is going to understand much of what I say on the telephone anyway...and if by some small fluke they do, there's is little chance that I'll comprehend the reply. However, where the phone might help is in an emergency, 112 is like 911 at home and English is spoken. I carry a decent, but inexpensive camera. In the hostels it can be difficult to find an available plug to charge batteries, and they are so light that 3 battery packs will last about 4-5 days. They can be charged when I get a small pension or casa rural accommodation to myself for a night...clean sheets, towels and everything!! My priority will be to keep my iPad charged as I'll blog, journal, connect with home, back-up photos, read various books and occasionally find accommodation a day or two down the road.  


The following list looks like a considerable amount of stuff for a journey striving for simplicity. However, it all comes together nicely weighing a combined 19lbs dry, and the pack is only about 75% full even when carrying a full load of water. I'm always impressed with the compact, trim look of the pack...simple and uncluttered. A reflection of what I'm striving to find on this journey. The grey pack, and it will look pretty much the same this time too...unbelievable!
Pack:
Gregory Z40 (40 liters)


Clothing:
  • two t-shirts: one micro-technical, one merino wool
  • Columbia long sleeve solar shirt with collar
  • a partial merino wool long sleeve pull-over (replacing my fleece jacket)
  • 2 pairs quick drying convertible pants
  • 3 pairs of Exofficio boxer shorts (fast drying)
  • 3 pairs PhD Smartwool Outdoor socks; 3 pairs liner socks
  • light running jacket (bright red!)
  • micro cycling vest (brilliant wind breaker with t-shirt or as a layer)
  • a wide brim Tilly hat-breathable (freshly washed too)
  • light gloves
  • micro towel
  • bandana
  • Merrell mid-height Moab Gore-tex lined boots
  • Keen closed toe light walking sandles 
 Wet Gear:
  • Altus poncho - Light: You might remember "Margarita" - lime green
  • short gaiters
Electronics:
  • simple cell phone, iPad mini, iPod touch with chargers, headphones
  • Canon point & shoot camera, 3 batteries, 3 x 7G SD cards & charger
  • 2 plug converters (I always loose one)

Personal Kit: (the usual stuff)

  • toothbrush/paste, shaving oil/razor, comb, nail clippers, soap, shampoo, prescriptions, small sunscreen, Pepto, several ear plugs, lotion

Misc Gear:
  • titanium pot/mug, tinfoil lid (lighter) & heating coil (boil water)
  • 2 carbon fiber Pacer Poles plus spare foot
  • whistle & compass
  • sewing kit
  • first aid kit, scissors, cloth wrap bandage, Epi-pen for bee bites
  • blister/foot kit: Vaseline, band aides, moleskin, needles, sterilizer
  • Swiss knife with cork screw:) Need to purchase in Sevilla.
  • spork (fork/spoon combo)
  • clothes line
  • large safety pins (hang laundry)
  • high quality sunglasses
  • laundry soap (Lush bar)
  • large garbage bag
  • 2 spare zip-lock plastic bags
  • 1 scallop shell
  • head lamp & spare batteries
  • 2 small flashing lights (for walking on roads in dark/rain)
  • 2 liter hydration system
  • 3 rolls of Nuun electrolytes (somewhat heavy but necessary)
  • light down sleeping bag
  • silk liner sheet pretreated for bed-bugs and insects (adds warmth in mountains and will use when hot in the south).
  • small amount of insect repellent 
  • bug net to go over hat (helps keep me sane!)
  • ultra-micro Sil day pack
  • 3 dry bags: clothes, sleeping bag(s), misc gear
  • 2 micro rolls of TP
  • 2 emergency protein bars
  • small Spanish phase book
  • passport/money pouch
  • pen and small note book
There are very few current English language guides available. I have Melonie's route app which she nicely updated in March and a couple of other bit and pieces that I have printed and will carry in a ziplock bag. Additionally I have more information backed up onto my iPad and as attachments to emails should I loose something along the way. I'll be picking up a map/route book in Sevilla mostly for the maps and route profiles as apparently the descriptions are pretty basic.


There you have it...satisfied Ken?

And there is Steve...my spirit animal who I "carried" all the way across the Camino last year. At times he might be my only companion on this journey. Maybe he can help to carry the pack occasionally this time:)

3 comments:

  1. I think I speak for Steve (because he can't speak) when I say how rude for not including him in this post. This can be fixed with a post dedicated to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I declare myself satisfied.

    You aren't going to check your bag since you're buying your knife in Seville. That's a good idea.

    I never travel anywhere without Imodium after an incident driving back from Winnipeg....

    ReplyDelete