Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Murias de Rechivaldo - Rabanal del Camino, 16 kms

A Door And A Bar

Today we modified our route and mode of travel. An opportunity to cycle today in the wind was too good to pass up. Yup, the sun is now out as I write this, but you can't pick your weather I guess.

In our new world the harbour ferries are all still tied up as we enter Phase 2. Perhaps they'll be free to go in the next phase?

Hasn't slowed down the geese though. They're still on the water, still generating. This was a very long shot in poor light, but I think there are 10-12 chicks.



These wild flowers were everywhere along much of our route today. I really like them and would have them in my own front gardens as clearly the deer won't touch them.





The Spanish lavender was quite brilliant!

A nice loop. Next time we might go in the other direction!



Meanwhile, out on the Camino...

Santa Catalina de Rechivaldo



October 2013, my favourite door on the camino.

August 2016

November 2018. I stayed in town in a sweet little B&B as the albergue was closed

The view from my window was somewhat bleak.

But the breakfast was a treat!





2013 with Annemarie and Ken at the famous to many Cowboy Bar in El Ganso!

In 2016 I finally get into the picture!

Toe issues still remain for a little longer.





I liked this rainbow marker the first time I passed by and on subsequent journeys. I'll admit, it was looking a bit worse for wear in 2018, but I still enjoyed seeing it again. Actually, the rainbow part was actually looking better than it had.

The view ahead to the climb up to Foncebadón.

Oddly, while trying to capture a small rainbow, I took this photo from a very similar position in 2018. Perhaps just 100 metres further up the trail.









Ken shared his memories from here;

Rabanal del Camino:
Great day--again. Cold and sunny. Great walk. Met up with Geoff and Annemarie, which was a nice surprise. Tomorrow: Cruz del Ferro, the ascent and descent. I’m sure I’ll be okay--if it doesn’t rain. Rain would make coming down a lot harder--slippery stones. There’s the road, says the hospitalera, right next to the path, and it’s a bit easier. That’s good news. Bought some dried fruit for the climb. (Ate the last orange this morning and no fresh fruit here, I think--not at this tienda.) That and sausage and squashed bread and some cheese.

I remember that everyone was anxious about the climb to Cruz del Ferro, which turned out to be quite easy.

In 2018,  as I passed quickly through I was remembering our stay here in 2013 and the photo I had of Ken and Annemarie.

We visited the small church and tried to go back for vespers, but it was full and I think we missed a very special camino experience that evening. Or perhaps I'm mixing this memory up with another place?







On the Camino most dogs were tied up because of so many pilgrims passing each day. On other Caminos, no such luck, but dealing with dogs and other animals is just part of the experience.

I'm not sure where we are walking to tomorrow, but I'm sure that something will come up! The beauty of a virtual experience is that we can walk as far as we want. We are in no hurry these days.

Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment