Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Astorga, then on to Murias de Rechi, 5 kms

Short, But Beautiful

We had a busy day planned so we were up and out the door early this morning. It was a warm, soft beginning.  

Why do these ferns look so much healthier than mine?





We only walked 10 kms, but we made sure to fit in two quality climbs to make up for the shorter distance. Nothing like an early commitment waiting at home to help you to move along! It was a beautiful walk.


Back on our virtual Camino, we were stopped in Astorga and I think a largely pictorially focussed presentation might work today. Ken's additional comments can start us off;

Once again I missed the landscape--partly the difficult road which took a lot of concentration, partly a kind of single-minded focus. Maybe I’m hoping for the endorphin rush that Geoff described. I didn’t get it--I don’t think I exert myself enough.

By “difficult road” I meant the fist-sized gravel I walked on that day. Do you guys remember that? I know it wasn’t an uncommon experience, but for some reason it stands out in my memory from that day.

The way into town is well set-up. There's a good welcome centre now and very pilgrim centric.

Situated on a prominent mound, the views from the city walls are pretty good.

Looking southeast towards where the Via de la Plata enters the city. In 2013 I knew very little about that Camino, but 6 months later I'd be retired and walking it with a big smile on my face!

Lots of history here.







Palacia de Gaudi.











The cathedral. I found it a bit underwhelming compared to many I've seen, but there were a few interesting things to see.



There was a really good collection of illustrated, hand painted books that I really enjoyed.


And a series of carved faces that I really liked.

The stained glass was intriguing as well.

Of course the real treat in Astorga is the chocolate and the pastries! The city has been long known for both, particularly the the chocolate.

In 2018 I carried a bar of chocolate all the way home for Annemarie. I almost ate it a dozen times the following 10 days!! I picked it up in this small store. I was the only pilgrim that I saw in town.


In 2016, not deterred by a challenge, we engaged!





Actually,  my map book suggests it's 267 kms to Santiago?

This is on the side of a church on the way out of the city. Like I said, a very pilgrim centric city. I quite liked it here each time through.



In 2016 Rob and I stayed in this great albergue. Passed by in 2018 wishing I was stopping and that it was as hot as it had been the prior two times. I still had another 11 kms to walk that day.

A scorcher of a day in 2016!

A great way to end a very hot stage!


Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment