Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Castrojeriz- Itero la Vega, 11 kms

The End Of The Beginning! 

The fourth Zoom gathering of our community of virtual walkers happened last night. It was a good gathering with more sharing of stories, many quite humorous. Clearly everyone is walking more than they would otherwise be doing during this time of social isolation, which was one of the goals of this virtual camino. Ken walked 23 kilometres yesterday (I still have to read your post) and both Neil and Sarah agreed that they were getting out for more walks despite their busy vocations. We have been walking lots for sure, despite some of the walking becoming a little repetitive. Clearly we would all love to be walking fresh unknown territory each day just as one does when on a Camino, but that's not presently our reality.

I believe that walking or other forms of outdoor exercise can only help us to deal better with these uncertain times. Much better than sitting in our homes these past 7 weeks dwelling on the 'what if's or maybes' and all the negative news that's floating out there. We need to be aware of what's going on with Covid-19, but to dwell on it is unhealthy, and walking is just the opposite. It's a mental safety valve that allows anxieties to slip away, if only for a while.  

We decided to change things up a little today and we tackled the hill beside our home which we'd been avoiding due to its popularity and the narrowness of the trails. However with Covid-19 presently well mitigated here and our 'curve' better understood by our Provincial Health Officer we figured that there would be little risk. Excited like small kids we set off to explore many of the small trails. The day was gorgeous!



We came upon a lone Lilac tree sitting in amongst the Garry Oaks, flowered and scented in all it's glory. Given it's Annemarie's favourite flower, we chose to take this as a positive sign and pressed on.  At one point we met up with a woman who was birding, binoculars in hand. We stopped to talk with her, all the while social distancing. It soon became clear that she was a serious bird watcher who was very in tune with our local feathered pals. I mentioned to her that I'd noticed a significant uptick in the bird population this spring and she confirmed that her daily numbers of sightings and variety were much higher this year. We discussed possible reasons for this and came up with a list that included less people outside, fewer vehicles and perhaps a slightly better air quality. She told us that she and her fellow bird watchers were, well umm, watching this closely.

As always the views from the top were brilliant with our city flowing out in all directions, green and healthy looking. The other bump across the way will be our next target if our leader gives the all clear tomorrow. We've walked there, all over it and well beyond many times, but not this spring. Soon though we think. Very soon.

I did carry my walking camera with me today. My phone wouldn't be able to do this justice and it's so much more versatile.

Heading down another small path through the oaks and wild flowers we came upon a flatten depression in the grass and I suggested to Annemarie that there might be deer close by.

At the end of the short trail, there they were. Neil and Sarah, looking just at their alert faces, not too far off kangaroos, eh?



We continued to walk our hill and then headed off down the far side and further south before looping around and into more familiar recent walking environs. However, we had made a significant break out and we were both delighted! Simple pleasures.

I took this shot yesterday.



Back on our virtual Camino, while Annemarie was waiting for me to walk in with Peter and David, our campground host drove Annemarie to see the local doctor. Arriving to find the office closed they returned to the campground and calls were made to arrange for the baggage transfer folks to pick up Annemarie the next morning. Annemarie's toe was still causing her grief and it was clear that a day off might help things settle down. At dinner that night when David and Peter learned that I would be on my own they graciously invited me to again join them. It was agreed that I would meet them at their posh accommodation at 8 on my way through town.

After I left the next morning Annemarie recounts that the driver arrived. He then joined the campground operator to enjoy a morning glass of vino tinto before the driver and Annemarie set off for Fromista some 27 kms on down the road.

I went in search of Peter and Dave, but during the middle of the night I'd made the decision to walk alone. I'd been aching to do so, walking at my own pace, not worrying about Annemarie for a day. Her condition had being weighing heavily on my mind. I guess the best way to describe how I was feeling as I set off out of town was sort of like our old Springer Spaniel, Moriah must have felt each time we let off her leash!

My blog post title that day was A Walking High! At the end of the stage I wrote;

Those that walk regularly will understand the title of today's post. Today was one of those perfect walking days...so perfect in fact that I may have to wait some time to experience another. It was supposed to rain...but it didn't. Instead it was cloudy with pockets of sunshine, blue patches and about 15C when I set off this morning and a heavy head wind developed as the morning progressed. No fear about the wind cause I was floating anyway. I had been invited to walk with our Aussie pals, but I decided during the night to walk solo, leave early and take some time for myself to work through a few things... and of course to play with my camera. I was originally worried about Annemarie getting to our next destination...so I raced along up a steep climb, across the Mesa and down the 18% grade on the other side.


This was the moment I first became aware that I would have to climb out of the valley. I'd been too busy to sort out where the stage would take me that day. It's a wonderful climb if you like to climb!

And I was lucky enough to catch the sunrise on the way up.





Funny thing. In 2013 I was walking quickly and I don't remember seeing this monument at the top of the climb. I'm sure that it must have been there, but I walked right past without stopping. I have a vague recollection that perhaps there were too many people gathered there and I wanted solitude to enjoy this stage. In 2018 I stopped and took a moment. Heck, there wasn't anyone close behind me and for sure there wasn't anyone in front. That day I would very much have welcomed some walking company.

As I wrote at the time there was a strong head wind on top of the mesa and a strong glow all around with the clouds not far overhead. Funny how everything from the walking portion of that day remains crystal clear in my mind. The faces of the people I met, the feeling in the air, the stops I made and the route.

I arrived at the steep descent off the mesa and took a moment to appreciate the day.

In 2018 the sign had received a bit more attention from passing pilgrims!

This was the view from the top in 2018, the camino winding away into the far distance.

At the beginning of October 2013, same view.  There were quite a few other peregrinos on the trail and there was slightly more colour in the fields.

On the way down I looked left,

and then right.

That's exactly when it happened. I distinctly remember asking myself at this exact point, "why do I want to work any longer if I can have experiences like this?"

My educational years and most of my working career had been interesting and challenging, but during the previous 3-4 years, work had ceased to engage me in the same way. I still went to work early every day and got my work done efficiently, but something was definitely missing. Having reflected on this over the past 6 years, often while walking long lonely stretches of road in various places, I've come to realize that I was bored and frankly more than a little disillusioned. So we set out on our 2013 camino with the intention of not discussing our work with anyone and not revealing what jobs we held. We each hoped to find an answer to the question, continue working or move on? I made my decision that day. Time to move on.

Had I walked with Peter and David I wouldn't have come to this decision that day, and perhaps not at all during this, our first camino. I also believe that if I'd walked with Annemarie that day I wouldn't have come to this decision as I was worried about her, and in all likely hood I would have returned home without a clear decision.

Yesterday our wonderful Senior Health Officer used the expression "the end of the beginning" to describe where our province currently is on our Covid-19 journey. While walking today I thought about this and decided her phrase applied to what I was feeling when I made my decision in 2013. I worked my last day April 30, 2014 and 8 days later I took my first steps out of Sevilla, Spain solo along the Via de la Plata. The decision I made on that October 2nd was the correct decision, and I haven't regretted it for even a second!

I couldn't write about my decision in my walking blog in 2013 for obvious reasons, but I can now!


This is how things looked in 2018, a little bleak and brown, but I was thinking about that special day in 2013 as I walked and reflected.



You can tell from my Tilley hat profile that this was during 2013: )

In 2018 what had been firm footing was glue-like mud.



Approaching the Puente Fitero which was once a hospital for the pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela.

Grateful that it was open in 2013, but unfortunately it was closed in 2018 when I could have used a warm place to rest.



This is the 11 arched Puente de Itero. I like this bridge very much.



2013.

2018



One of the wonders of timing. As I arrived at the bridge who should drive up, but Annemarie in the luggage transfer truck. She was getting a Spanish lesson! We chatted briefly then she was off.

And I walked into Palencia, past the old road marker.

Still 450 kms to walk!

Then I walked into Itero where I stopped in a bar for tea, the worst tea ever! So black with an oily film floating on top. I'm happy to report that tea has made great strides in Spain since then! I paid for it and then spotted Neil and Sarah as they came into the bar. I said hello and left quickly wanting to continue on alone. They don't seem to have minded: )

Murals and a cemetery.



I walked on from here both years, but as this is a virtual camino and we are in no hurry, this will be home for tonight. Sure hope there's a bar for dinner and a comfortable bed!


Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment