Friday, May 1, 2020

Burgos

Tapas Time!!


While we did walk today, on our virtual camino we elected to take a zero day in Burgos as we did in 2013. After all, it's a very nice city with an amazing cathedral, good restaurants and an active nightlife. In 2018 having taken just one zero day during the prior 38 days it might have been a good idea. I'd planned to, but with the weather winter like and no company to enjoy the day with, I just couldn't bring myself to stop. I pressed on concerned that I might run out of time before my Schengen Visa expired, but I committed that I would take a break when I eventually reached Leon some 180 kms further down the road.

Our first day off means a slow start and breakfast in a nice bakery.



This was followed by a wander around the cathedral. Here I am in 2013 and as you can see the weather isn't too super.

So switch to 2018, cold and brilliantly sunny! Same place.





An impressive structure.

























And lastly the hero of our story again doing nasty things to the Moors. Hmmmm?

In 2013 we went for a long walk around the centre. What else does a pilgrim do when taking a rest day?









The first night in Burgos we were shown the way to a brilliant tapas bar by a fellow peregrino from Paris who was also a chef and knew all the best places. He was so right! We had dinner with a nice group including Peter and Dave from Melbourne who you might recall we had originally met in Logroño looking for foot remedies in a pharmacy.









The next day Peter and Dave came to our hotel and pulled us out to a 'cheap' restaurant that they had sourced. This was to become a bit of a theme for the time our paths crossed.

Now knowing these two, they'd somehow managed to talk the owner into letting the four of us pilgrims in early!



This cemented a friendship which has continued to this day with visits in person and on-line.



The food that night was fabulous. Some years later Peter confirmed that they were probably the only two peregrinos who actually put weight on while walking the camino. Ha!

I noticed that some people just seem to walk around under a cloud. I have a fairly significant photo collection of the 'brass people' taken all over Europe and there were some good ones in Burgos.







In 2018 I was able to find a light dinner and a good glass of red wine in a bar just off this square. I was in luck as an El Classico soccer game was playing. The Spanish people like nothing better!





Still a few places left for me to walk though this peregrino looks like he's done all of them and more!

Buen Camino!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos---Burgos is on my list of places to see....since about 1992. Thank you. Loving the blog and for the record....you guys don't seem to age from these photos? How is that? Your neighbour Lis

    ReplyDelete