Friday, May 8, 2020

Carrión - Calzadilla de la Cueza, 17.5 kms

Such A Flat Stage!

We had an amazing walk today, but it was long and I had to garden the rest of the afternoon. Shortly we have a Zoom call with some friends and before you know it we will be sitting outside having dinner in the warm evening air. So I'll write about todays walk tomorrow when I can do it justice. It's Saturday tomorrow meaning we typically have a shorter walk because it's busier and more difficult to social distance.

On to the virtual camino! Ken's remembrances from waking up in Carrión;

Nuns--or a recording?--started singing at 6 a.m. Heard the door open while I was in the bathroom, then this beautiful music. Not a bad way to wake up for the peregrinos. 

This was Carrión in 2018 as I stopped for refreshment and then passed through to Calzadilla. We must have gone out in the dark in 2013 because I have no photos of this bridge,

or this,

or even this!



Home tonight, but first a little more walking!

Who ever 'they' is, 'they' always try to encourage the peregrino with signs like this. Believe me, it rarely works, particularly on very long stages. That said, it's always nice to know that Sahagun is close by. we will be staying there soon. I hope.

I remembered this long stretch of road in 2018. In 2013 I was having one of those mornings that occasionally happens where you seem to need to pee every 15-20 minutes early in the day. Yup a bit personal, but on the Camino it all happens, and much more.



The same stretch of road in 2013, but it was early morning before the sunrise. Damn but it was flat. I think this part of Spain is almost as flat as anywhere I've ever been, excepting the salt flats in Bolivia. That's flat.  Even the sails were making good time!





I do remember this sunrise though. I wish I'd carried a better camera on the first camino like I do now.



Annemarie's foot was apparently liking these flat stages.



I think this was the first cyclist we saw. It wouldn't be the last, though I wish it had been.



Endlessly flat. If motivated you can easily cover 40-50 kms on a warm, dry day. The real issue is keeping your head engaged. I carry music for those times when I've run out of things to ruminate about and reflect on. You can only do so much of that before you have to shut it all down, give your brain a break and just give yourself up to the music. I love that when I walk. Walking sticks make a great air guitar!

In 2018 to pass the time when the weather was closed in I even turned to writing haikus.

Distant horizons 
Magic of the Meseta 
Clouds touching the earth

In my experience, the Meseta is more magical when it's warmer, there's more to see and you have some company. Something in the fields, even end of season sunflowers. Anything!

Ok, sometimes there was something there, but not too often.

Ken who lives on the Canadian prairies tells me that he felt very much at home there. No surprise, lol!


Feet kissing the Earth
As I grind down lonely roads,
I’m thinking of you

This was much better.


By 2018, the only thing that had changed was better signage.

Oh, and these had been added as a welcome.




A drink with my totem.



I have no idea where I stayed here that night in 2018. None. Usually I remember something. There would have been a bed, but beyond that, I have absolutely no recollection. It had been a long day, but then a 'zero' beer? A zero beer. What's that all about? No wonder I can't remember anything. Must have been a bad dream!

Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment