Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Stage 8: Golinhac - Conques, 25kms, Cloud & Sun, 22, (2)

Walking in the Clouds...Bon!!

Over nighting at elevation can have its benefits, and this morning was one of those days. I awoke to find one of my favourite sights. Clouds right to the ground! Next to walking in the sun, this ranks right up there. A quick breakfast of carbs...bread, bread, bread that's all they seem to eat here at breakfast with tea or coffee. They could do a bit better for us walkers! 

And off into the clouds. I didn't see the village at all last night. I arrived around 16:00 and after doing laundry, having a shower and joining others for dinner there just wasn't much daylight left. Jacques had managed to find his way in on the limp, but he's doing pretty well with it.
A great walk across the fields and along country roads. Cindy, this was the spot today.

Erie and beautiful. Eventually the trail began a steep descent. Something about a rabbit hole in "Alice in Wonderland"?

Really like this image. I have several and will take my time with these when I return home. A bit of an optical illusion.
Eventually I was low enough to begin to get below the clouds and I could see a little of what was out there to see.
Found my way to Espeyrac and by then I was in the sun and happy to really have a good look around after the past few days of rain and nasty weather.
A 1,000' climb took me back up through some pretty country. Looking back at Esperyrac early in the climb.
Celia has a very nice castle and the town was picturesque too.

Climbing still higher, I bumped into Barbara and Pia from Germany who I'd had dinner with about 4 days ago. Time does fly past out here, but only looking backwards. The days are long and slowed from normal life...at least when walking.

First vines of the trip!!! No pelegrino shrinkage from this guy...not yet anyway!
Almost there, then a brutal descent into Conques. Actually it was great fun! A real thigh buster and knee buster too if you aren't careful! It was all the way down into the valley.
And suddenly I was in Conques. It just kind of sneaks up on you. A rather touristic little village, but home in the Abbaye Sainte Foy for the night. Many of the French will complete their walk here and depart for home. Will be interesting to see how many are around tomorrow night.
While waiting for 14:00 to sign in at the Abbye, I went looking for food. The restaurants were all expensive so I found a very nice quiche in a shop and put in my bag to eat with a yet to be found beer. During that process I located a cheaper restaurant and had a very nice omelette and salad with a view of the church. Oh yes, and my beer! I finished lunch but was still hungry so in a very busy restaurant I figured, what the hell, and put my quiche on the plate too. Not enough protein the last few days. Too much bread at breakfast and no yogurt. So, I decided to load up a bit! After all, I descended a 1,000' at the end of today. How do you suppose tomorrow is going to start;-)?

Jacques and I are sharing a room at the Abbye tonight. I was trying to get out of a bunk bed after so many nights of snorers. They had a twin available but for more than I wanted to spend. I was saying that maybe my friend would be interested in changing from a single to a double, but I couldn't do it as Jacques hadn't arrived yet. At that exact moment he walked through the door and I called him to the front of the line. Too funny! He liked the idea as it was cheaper and he was able to jump the long sign in line-up too! So we have this nice little cell, with 4 windows with views. Much more important, that's 4 windows to hang our laundry out of!! A good place to get the dampness out of our gear as well. We've escaped the mess in our room and are sitting in a posh bar terrace writing and having a cold refreshment while icing various ailments. The high life...a room away from snoring with our own shower and toilet!  The camino provides yet again.

Hope there is still something left of me tomorrow. Now to figure out how far to walk in the morning and see if I can book a cheap bed.

Bon Chemin!

5 comments:

  1. Let he who snores not, cast the first stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes, Very wise my sister. Sounds like a beautiful walk today daddio. Like the bit about eating your quiche in the restaurant...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Geoff

    We've picked up a certain lack of sympathy re the snoring from your devoted women-folk (see comments!!!!!). But we sympathise with the desire for such luxuries as sheets and windows to hang your clothes from (your very own private windows) - and hope you had a good night's sleep. The images of Conques and Espeyrac look lovely and the track continues to entice. We picked up on you mentioning the need to ice ailments so are wondering how your feet, ankles, knees, hips etc are bearing up? This is a professional interest, since we'd like to do this in a couple of years' time!! Does seem like there's a lot of ascending and descending, which must take a toll. Are you finding the poles help with all of this?

    Looking forward to the next instalment as ever - another burst of winter here, so lovely to see summer from afar.

    Bon chemin

    Sarah and Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Saw another black bear pn the trail, a big male. We had a chat. "Okay, now, you move along, let us pass. Thank you." And pff he went. But a short walk compared to the mileage you're racking up.

    ReplyDelete