Saturday, August 15, 2015

Lyon, France: Cloud and a little sun, 22

Jetlag!

I'm sitting in a high end restaurant complete with monogrammed table clothes and napkins! It's called Le Nord. I have spent the morning trying to walk off the effects from a long travel day, and haven't eaten very much. However I'll feast at lunch as I have read that Lyon is the gastronomic capital of France. I figure that after suffering through a number of basic airplane meals yesterday, it's time to eat something French that should taste bon!! 
I'm having a Lyonnesse salad followed by a salmon steak with potatoes in lemon juice...yum!! I have a glass of good French blanco and a whole bottle of water. This will cost a bit (the water is free), but I'm hungry and frankly a bit worn out after yesterday. I think it's a good idea to perhaps celebrate my arrival.

Just finished the salad. It was wonderful! I was so hungry! Huge pieces of special cubed bacon and a poached eat served over lettuce with croutons. Annemarie, you are going to enjoy this walk so much! And it hasn't even started!

This morning I started the day slowly after just a few hours of sleep. I caught up with messages from home and afar. Was great to just take it easy. After another long shower I decided to sort my gear and have things a bit back to normal.

Then it was off to see this city where I haven't had an opportunity to visit since 1981. It hasn't changed very much, but then I hardly saw it passing through all those years ago. I decided to treat myself with care today and took the metro across town and travelled up to Basilique Notre Dame de Fouryiere on the funicular instead of walking.

Oh, the salmon has arrived. Magnificent! Little sighs of pleasure as I worked my way through the meal:-) So good! 
Any way, the cathedral was full with a service, but I was able to stand at the back for a while just quietly taking it all in. 

Afterwards I wandered over to see the Roman amphitheatres and then wandered down the hill through the gardens. 


That meal was certainly excellent. I'm a little under dressed for this place, but they graciously accepted me without a reservation...the place is completely full now, so I arrived fashionably early. I've just ordered a second glass of wine to help me to write;-). It turns out that today is a bank holiday meaning that much of the city is closed down. I managed to find a Swiss knife to carry, but I may have to wait until I arrive at Le Puy to arrange my phone SIM card and plan. 

After lunch I'll wander over to see the famous opera house. 
The city core is quite nice and I'm glad I made the effort to get out of my hotel today and to check things out. 

Tomorrow being Sunday, I'll have to find some food for the train. The breakfast at the hotel is stupid expensive and I gave it a miss this morning, but may not have a choice tomorrow...we shall see. This lunch will do as my main meal today and I'll look for something simple to take back to the hotel while I'm out.

I finally feel like I have arrived and frankly, it hasn't been very long since I left this country...a nice familiar feeling. I think a nap will be in order this afternoon and this being Saturday, I'm pretty sure that if I can stay awake I'll be able to watch a game of La Liga or Premiership football on TV this evening:-) I wonder who is playing? 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Geoff

    So lovely to see pictures of Lyon again (this is Sarah!). Mum and I didn't make it up the hill to the basilica, just admired it from below, so it's good to see it closer up. Also good to be reminded of the gastronomical delights of the city - well done for taking the opportunity to celebrate in style! We will toast your beginning tonight with a glass of Australian vin rouge - I can so see the station at Lyon, the milling of pilgrims getting on the train, the stunning train ride through the river valley to Le Puy. Enjoy it all - we know you will savour it - nothing like the pre-pilgrim time, as Neil says, to make you feel so 'IN your life'. It's like a time out of time, the delicious space between leaving home and embarking bodily on the road - a time of grace. Blessings from us.

    Sarah and Neil

    ReplyDelete