Friday, August 14, 2015

Sitting in T2 at Heathrow

Across the pond and sitting here outside London on a drab day killing time waiting some 6 hours for my flight to Brussels and onwards to Lyon where I'll crawl into my hotel tonight at around midnight. It's ok though. I've left all the departure business and the last minute intensity behind and now it's all about taking each day as it comes. Simply happy to be here preparing to walk again. After all, it's not that long ago that I was still getting up early and going to work! 

Lots of people watching to do here and the airplanes just keep on coming and going. A very busy place! T2 is modern and has lots of shops and places to sit and just hang out. Travel note to self, I didn't have to clear security again at YVR, just showed my boarding pass to priceed. However at Heathrow I had to clear again and they re packed my liquids.

The flight across seemed surprisingly short, although I know it wasn't. 8.5 hours went by much quicker than the 14 hour flight to NZ earlier this year. I even managed to sleep a few hours and enjoyed the company of two seniors who were on their way to cruise around the perimeter of the UK. David, I have referred them to you:-)

During the early part of the flight It quickly became apparent that there are many fires burning in BC and that there is zero snow left on the coastal mountains. These are the Lions from the back side...
Smoke from the Harrison Lake fire...
and yet another fire...
A few spectacular glacier sightings...

As we approached the coast of Ireland the clouds parted and I was able to take a glimpse shot of the coast. Best I could do Paul. North of Galway, perhaps as far north as the area you know well?
Now only 3.5 hours to go. I'd best post this and go find some food. Mom, the cookies are great...better than the Air Canada food!!  

Hi to all:-). Bon Chemin! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff

    You're on the way - fantastic! And the great thing, every step from here will be better than Heathrow!! Glad the long flight went well, mind you, 8.5 hours is the short leg for us, we also have the 14 hour leg as well. Loved the aerial shots of Canada and the glimpse of the green island. Where are you staying in Lyon? Sarah says, the walk along the river and the old city are beautiful. We'll look forward to hearing how you find it. Mind you, Polycarp was martyred there in earlier years so try not to offend anyone!!

    Bon chemin

    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete