Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Stage 35: Cee to Fisterra...in ancient times, the end of the known earth. 16 kms, 24C

Le Lapin Rests...

I'm sitting in Fisterra at a nice little guest house waiting for my room to be prepared. It's only 11:30 AM and I've been in town for some time. As I walked across the beautiful country side and along the seashore I gave a great deal of thought to a commitment I made to Annemarie at the end of the Camino Frances when we ran out of time and had to return home to work without walking to Muxia. We discussed walking the Camino Portuguese together then walking on to Muxia another time to complete our original Camino Frances experience.

Having arrived in Santiago much earlier than I imagined when I was at home and contemplating how long the journey would take, it simply made sense to continue on to Muxia. However, I think that one of the things I've clearly learned on this Camino is that it's not always about the final destination. Rather it's about the process and experiences that one has on the way to the destination. A destination is simply a place in your mind to arrive at and to then depart from....how did it take me so long to really learn this? Over the past many weeks I have experienced many destinations...some very real places, others less well defined. Mostly I simply wanted to find my way on foot to the furthest westward end of this ancient land mass...and I've done that, all in keeping wth the original Roman experience that I sought when I selected the Via de la Plata and Camino Sanabres routes. 

When I turn 60 next year my initial thinking is to celebrate that milestone by walking solo from Le Puy, France and meeting Annemarie in St Jean Pied de Port to climb the original Napolean Route together and carry on to Pamplona...(or, walking the Appian Way in Italy first, much to learn). From there we would transfer to Portugal to walk the Portuguese Way and complete our journey in Muxia together as we have so often discussed. As such, I have made the decision to return to Santiago on Friday from Fisterra. Muxia is 29 kms away, but is inconsequential after the last ~1,100 kms, and it's important to me that we arrive in Muxia together. Absolutely no regrets.

As my good friend David wrote when I told him that I'd finished early and was looking for travel ideas...his advice, "go find a beach and relax!". Well David, is this what you had in mind? 

Some images from the walk today...



I'm off to walk this beach and then find a good lunch and also a bottle of wine to carry with me the 3 kms out to the end of the earth to watch a sunset with. Would rather you were here for that Annemarie, but there should be a next time and we will do it then. 

Thanks to all for the many words of encouragement and support...you may never know how much they inspired me...but inspire me they did:)

From Fisterra...Le Lapin rests. Buen Camino!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff

    Just back from Adelaide and catching up on your last few posts. What an amazing experience. Can't believe it's done and now you're heading back. No doubt there will be many emotions bubbling away inside. I get the decision about Muxia. We decided to stop at Finistera too and save Muxia for next time. Who knows, maybe we'll all walk in together someday. Although I sense you may get back before we do. Well done on a great walk. Thanks so much for the way you have shared it with us all. It's been amazing to see your photos and read your blogs - a real gift to us tied down peregrinos. My deformed toe nail (from Frances) has just grown out so I'm ready to go when the opportunity arises. Have a great rest and many celebrations.

    Blessings

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. We can't believe how good the weather is for you. The visibility was about 10 meters for us when we were there - cold and wet the whole time. You nailed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is amen to Neil's comments. Well done Geoff, good decision. Enjoy the beach food and friends as you rest up for the journey home. I hope that the French train strike doesn't make your return trip difficult.
    Looking forward to your homecoming . We're so proud of you for accomplishment. Love you lots.G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff: The deed is done - you have arrived!! Really enjoyed your blog today and have a sense that you have benefitted greatly as you have trekked along on this solo walk deep in you own thoughts - pondering your feelings both positve and negative -cutting and pasting where necessay and then making a plan as you go forward toward the next destination. But I guess thats what the Camino is all about. Its really a wonderful way to start your retirement.

    Very impressive. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Muxía will be there for you and Annemarie when you get there. And maybe it won't be raining on the day you arrive there, either!

    Love your photographs, which bring back many memories. I think we took pictures of the same pine tree!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another walk, one where the destination is very strange (there's apparently nothing there):

    http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/scottish-national-trail.shtml

    Think of all the haggis!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. it IS indeed what I had in mind! dp

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missing your blogs already. When did you say was your next walk??

    ReplyDelete