Sunday, June 15, 2014

Santiago: Sunny 27C

Ah, Santiago.

A beautiful late Spring day greeted me this morning. After the day that was, it turned out to be very difficult to fall asleep last night...perhaps it was the vino? I do have a sunrise image to share, from yesterday...
Speaking of which, as I headed out yesterday I had no intentions of walking all the way in to Santiago. However, as the morning progressed and I started to find my legs after a very long night in a very hot room, I started to think about it. I stopped at my destination at only 10:30 AM and while I snacked on a boccadillo Eddie wandered in to the same bar. We kind of looked at each other, then smiled as we came to the same conclusion. The long day had little to do with completing a long walk just for the sake of a long walk. Rather, it was about earning the right to walk into Santiago with a sense of having earned it. Perhaps that sounds a bit strange after the distance already completed on the journey, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. The privilege of walking your own Camino I suppose...to walk it in your own way.

Entering the city from the southeast provided a special approach, a far cry from the wet, blustery entry Annemarie and I made at the end of last October. Once into the Plaza it was amazing...too difficult to describe. We had so much fun in the moment, exhaustion forgotten. Then it was a matter of locating a place to stay, completing the usual pilgrim chores and then off in search of friends. Found them...
Didier had walked in that morning the last 21 kms and was pretty surprised to find me outside the Parador looking for him. We were joined by Eddie, Iris and her husband who had cycled and the five of us went out for drinks then dinner...a long, satisfying evening. I kept pinching myself...couldn't believe I was here again!

Finally a couple of hours of sleep and up for breakfast and to run chores, but with a quick stop in the Catherdral...

Then off to figure out buses, trains and food...
Once that was done I made some plans...I walk out tomorrow for the four day journey to Muxia. The weather is going to hold for the 4 days and get even hotter. Then as usually happens, the temperatures are going to correct and the rain will begin Friday, but I will be on the bus returning from the coast and then will transfer direct to the train for a long day up towards San Sebastián.

Returned to the Catherdral to catch the Pilgrim's mass which was just packed! It was quite the experience, and as I didn't understand a word of it, I'll just show a few photos...



No fear Annemarie, I have a video of the whole thing.

Philipe and Giselle just walked in to Santiago so Didier and I are off to join them for lunch. Then time to have a short nap and make a Skype call or 4 as it is Father's Day...Happy Father's Day Dad!! Wish you were here for this...the lunch that is;)

It will be a challenge to get mentally and physically centred tomorrow to continue, but the goal was alway Muxia, so I'll suck it up and walk what is suppose to be a very nice route out to the coast where I'll follow tradition and find my way into the ice cold Atlantic to finally complete my Camino. Thanks to all for the heartfelt messages...really helped make a special day just a bit more special.

Buen Camino!

4 comments:

  1. And they brought out the botafumeiro for you! Excellent!

    Have fun walking tomorrow. There's one moment where you can turn back and see the cathedral against the sunrise, just after you climb a long hill towards the suburbs. Worth taking a minute.

    ¡Buen camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful pictures Geoff. Auntie Jean tried to reply to you but couldn't get them through. She waNted you to know how much she has enjoyed your pics and your accounts of your travels. She like the rest of us looks forward to your blog every day. Nice to have company for the walk to the coast. Enjoy love G

      Delete
  2. Hi Geoff,
    What a surprise !
    I had no look at your blog yesterday and so I did miss your arrival in Santiago.
    Man you did it again.
    I wish you a relaxed walk to the coast and a good swim in the Atlantic Ocean.
    Thanks again for taking me with you on this trip by stories and pictures,
    Puck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Geoff - Caught up with you by e-mail but wanted to send our congrats on getting to Santiago. Well done! Enjoy your walk to the coast, trust the weather holds. Don and Kati

    ReplyDelete