Thursday, June 5, 2014

Stage 24: Mombuey to Puebla de Sanabria, 34 kms, 6 hours, 22C, Sunny!

It May Look Like Galicia, But...

Left the truck stop in decent time today as the good ol' boys were getting their trucks warmed up. To start, a shot of this interesting church in Mombuey with the sunrise behind the unusual steeple. 
Here is what it looked like yesterday, outside and inside...

A simple, but beautiful space. Here is the rest of the sunrise today...it was the coldest morning yet...almost time for my woolie gloves. I've climbed to 3,100' or 950 meters, and it's noticeable in the morning until the sun warms the air.
The ground fog really made for a special morning start.

You'd be forgiven all you Camino Frances types for thinking that I'm in Galicia...it sure looks that way, but this won't happen until the day after tomorrow as I climb through the Canda Pass. I've read that the Celtic peoples did control the area bordering Galicia for many years and you can see it in the buildings with their slate roofs, stone fences and buildings. Almost feel like I've returned home after being gone for only 7 months...
   One major similarity is all the mud I had to work through and around today...wasn't missing that!

Those memories are still all too fresh and a bit painful as well...
However, I was fairly nimble and passed through realitively unscathed:)
Tomorrow I climb out of this interesting medieval village and in a while I'm going to have a good look around the town...

A long climbing day tomorrow, so will leave off here to prepare myself. An early start as rain is forecast to begin in the early afternoon and I have some water proofing to manage.
Buen Camino...oh by the way, all the French and Germans I walked away from caught up to me today and actually were here ahead of me...they took a couple of taxis. The best laid plans of mice and men! Oh well at least Didier is here too and we will have dinner tonight. Now three quarters of the way to Santiago...750 kms!











4 comments:

  1. I really like the photograph of the stone house with the orange flowers. It does look a lot like Galicia.

    Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geoff - I was asked yesterday how many pairs of shoes you will go through during your walk - to which I answered "one pair". However if you insist on walking through such mud and water we may have to revise that estimate. Remember to float like a bumble bee - that will get you through! Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff

    Such beauty again, this route seems incredibly beautiful. And, from this distance, even those muddy paths had a certain batty about them. Many memories for us of the mud too - ahhh, Galicia, what's there not to like about it??!! I may have mentioned that after the trouble of Frances I've been researching the best shoes for me for this kind of walk. I bought a pair of Merls last week. I see that is what you are wearing. Will be very keen to hear how they are going. The fact that you have nit mentioned your feet once, to my knowledge, suggests that they have worked well for you too. Three quarters of the way there - wow. Have you covered some ground! Are the numbers of peregrines increasing markedly as you get closer on this route or is this crowd you mention just a bit of a bubble travelling through? You are going so well an we're all appreciating journeying with you via this blog. Thanks. Buen camino, Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Sorry about the spelling. 'batty' should be beauty, 'Merls' should be Merrells, 'nit' should be not, and 'peregrines' should be peregrinos. I can blame some on this frustrating spell check thing and some on my wayward fingers. I guess it's a change from feet!!! BC, Neil

    ReplyDelete