Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Stage 29: Xunqueira to Ourense, 22 kms, 4 hours, dark then sunny...20C

ENOUGH...With the Albergues!!

At least for today. Funny how it suddenly happens...out here walking for close to 5 weeks and I've stayed in albergues most nights, hostels and hotels a few nights...the parador doesn't count...it was a gift! The purpose is to live simply, a bed each night, the good company of other similarly minded peregrinos and simple, generally healthy food. Walk all day and have simple comforts and companionship at the conclusion of each day. A lovely and special existence with harmony and fulfilment if you look for it. Until last night...

As I near the conclusion of the journey in Santiago de Compostela, new peregrinos, mostly Spanish are beginning to join the Camino to walk the last 100-150 kms in order to qualify to receive their Compostela of confirming completion of at least the minimum required 100 kms. Those of us hardened souls who have been walking all these weeks see a difference in some of the recent arrivals. They are  often, but not always, Spaniardsswemingly on a cheap vacation. They arrive each day quite late in the afternoon, shower and dress up a bit, make their beds then head for the bars, returning after lights out very much under the influence. Didier and I had to deal with a couple of middle aged women last night who returned very late, speaking loudly and proceeded to wake us up in an effort to start some sort of party. They wouldn't take "no!" for an answer and persisted. Finally at about 2pm they went to bed in the bunks beside us and continued messing around before finally falling into what could only be a drunken stupor. This was something of a surprise after 5 weeks without a single episode, but I'm hearing from others about similar circumstances the last few days. 

Didier and I were both up before 6 and on the road as neither could sleep. In the finest peregrino tradition we left very quietly, met Annemarie and departed into the dark. Your sunrise picture sometime later...


As I walked a very non-descript road today (road ways full of busy traffic) and through industrial areas, I made the decision to stay in a small hotel tonight, even though the albergue is a special place in an old monestary. I had planned to stay there, but I also knew that the disruptive peregrino tourists would be there too. Stopped at the tourist info place and used their computer to book my little place then immediately went there. The front desk lady smiled at me, but also gave me a serious once over. I explained I was a peregrino which seemed to satisfy her. Upstairs I had my first real look in the mirror in over a week and I could see where she was coming from! I'm not sure when I last shaved, though I shower every day. So all my clothes out and most washed in the sink then rinsed in the shower, followed by a long, hot shower for myself! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!! A good shave, a bit of deodorant and I was ready to eat. The front desk lady gave me a thumbs up and sent me to a local restaurant.
I bumped into Philip and Giselle from France coming in to the hotel. They had had a similar experience with rude drunken Spaniards so had taken the bus here this morning. The long term peregrinos are abandoning the albergues here and taking a room if they can afford it. My room with bath is only $45, so a deal. I'm now siting here with a bowl of caldo gallego soup, 
a plate of pulpo y patatas and a half bottle of excellent white Galicin wine. I intend to eat all of the meal, drink all the wine and then return to my room to post this and get some sleep!  I'll worry about provisioning myself for tomorrow a bit later, i may even stay here another day...all will come clear...when I wake up:)
On another note, I asked for some help from a couple of friends yesterday online and received much more than I asked for. I continue to be impressed and apprecitive of the support provided. Sometimes I don't even have to ask...an information need is anticipated and provided. Today it was an alternate walking route into the city. The traditional way drags one through the ugliest of industrial zones and city blocks. The route forwarded to me took me along a trail bordering a small creek all the way into town, thanks so much Neville! A nice ending to an otherwise very non-discript stage.
I've seen a few sights during my brief wanderings, and here are a few...


As one might expect, after two hours of sleep I'm Feeling the wine at 2:30, so time for some sleep!
106 kms to go! Here was the first numbered way marker on the trip...
By the way...in the home of the reining World Cup champions...it's everything footbal as we lead up to 
Brazil 2014! They are just soccer crazy here...will be such fun to be here for the first games!

 Buen Camino!


4 comments:

  1. Don't forget the hot springs! I remember you mentioned them before so I looked them up:

    http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g644337-d1547122-Reviews-Ourense_Thermal_Springs-Ourense_Ourense_Province_Galicia.html

    Sounds like just the thing a weary pilgrim needs.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the right sort of decision to me! My guess is that the hotels will seem all the more impressive given the time spent in auberges.... Now, your timing is good, my friend. Imagine is the Spanish had either just won the cup, or just lost it. Either way it would have been louder.... One thing that stands out, I recall as kid opening those rose bud fruits, and talking out those hairy seeds. the itching drives you completely mad..... A gift for the rowdy women?

    By the way, I gather AnneMarie retired (she had a party last night - talk about a rowdy lot - not really), so congratulations to you both! Ben went over to sell raffle tickets, sounds like he sold them to each participant!

    Keep well, enjoy those last stages! We look forward to having you back here!

    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff: As usual we really enjoyed your great pictures and the commentary that accompanied them. Also enjoyed the snap shots of your dinner last night - particularly the potatoes!! Are you surprised? Hope they tasted as good as they looked ..... Checked the map again after viewing that 117 klm marker and without a doubt you are definitely in a count down as you approach Santiago. Enjoy the moment and make sure you take time to smell those beautiful flowers that show up so brightly along the pathways.
    Game 4 of the Stanley Cup will be played in NY tomorrow and with L. A taking the first 3 games it is quite possible it will be the end of the series! However, your mother says that the series has to go 7 games as the owners and the players make more money that way !!! Stay tuned - even though I know that you are not following hockey this year - me too - only the stanley Cup series.
    Keep trekking . Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff
    Sounds like you made a great decision last night re accommodation. Glad you enjoyed the facilities and the meal so much. It certainly does help us to appreciate our many blessings along the way. I'm heading to Adelaide to co facilitate a retreat tomorrow so may miss your arrival in Santiago. Be assured I'll be with you in spirit if not replying on the blog. Buen camino, Neil

    ReplyDelete