Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Stage 22: Tabara to Santa Croya de Tera, 23 kms, 4 hours, 25C Sunny with amazing blue sky!

Reflective Walking:

First your morning sunrise, then on to something a bit different today.
I think that it's safe to say that 680 kms of walking solo provides time for some soul searching and reflection. I'm not sure I could do this all day when walking, I'm already talking out loud to myself half the time:) but certainly some days are more suited to this process than others. Today was one of those days. 

Some short time ago I received a very thought provoking email from a Camino Frances amigo who I've been most pleased to stay in touch with since returning home. I've reflected on the message off and on for a time now, but in all honesty, I haven't quite been in the right moment to fully get inside the message...until today. I read and reread the email again last night and took the thoughts with me as I set off with Didier this morning. Once we eventually found our way out of town...how could leaving such a small place be so hard?...we walked in what I believe is referred to as 'companionable silence'. We eventually hit some hill climbs and as I pulled quickly away, I waved back knowing that we would connect a couple of hours later at the next town for breakfast. That's Didier as I waved back...
Frankly, the scenery today wasn't exactly stellar, so I put my legs on auto-pilot, turned my mind inward, stared off towards the end of the road and started to consider the message I'd received. I'm hoping that I cause the author no concern as I share a piece from the note...it's both insightful and thought provoking. When I read the comment below, I'm reminded of many people in my life who are sort of in between things. Perhaps there is something there for those of you following this blog, perhaps not. There was/is for me and I know I'll be thinking about this again over the coming days. I wish I had written this...

The Camino does provide, as we know.  I am reflecting this week on the spirituality of waiting - what do we do "in the meantime" of our lives, between destinations?  At times like waiting for a house to sell, waiting for a new job, waiting for a child to be born or waiting for someone to die, waiting to retire or simply waiting for the next town to appear....How do we live well in the time after something has ended, but with a promise of what is to come even if we're not exactly sure what this is yet?...It is an in-between time full of uncertainty, restlessness, but also longing and hopefulness.

I have a better idea what this means for me...one of the reasons I'm here walking day after day after day. This has certainly helped me to find clarity concerning next things, and with still many days of walking ahead perhaps the pieces will come together. 

The day wasn't entirely reflective, though I did have to kraft a better email response for a good friend as I walked. Things were in fact happening out on the road today! Breakfast for one thing...
The owner was so pleased I stopped here that he gave me a handy little LED light. In my hat braid with Steve is wild lavender...it's amazing and so aromatic...we all smell so bad at the end of each walk that I thought this might help a bit...certainly hasn't hurt!

My new best friend...at least while I had breakfast! 

Bringing us home for the day...
My oasis for the afternoon...complete with geckos, birds and butterflies...and drying laundry of course!
A nice place to rest and prepare for a 30 km stage tomorrow to Rionegro del Puente (something, something bridge).
When I look back it's hard to believe that I left home a month ago and I'm coming up to 4 weeks on the trail. The albergues, people, meals, towns, stages and beds all begin to blur. I look back at my most excellent map book and see names of places I've stayed...but surely I was there months and months ago!? Others are experiencing this as well and it also happened to us on the Frances. I think it must be from living each day, a day at a time and to the fullest extent possible. Something I intend to put in my pack and bring home with me when this part of the journey concludes...

Buen Camino

3 comments:

  1. I wish I'd written that, too!

    Funny to see the arrow made out of stones. Reminds me of the Camino Francés. I had thought they were made by passing pilgrims, but perhaps they're the work of the volunteers who maintain the Way.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff: 9 PM in Victoria and just about time for you to greet another sunrise so that you can
    send us a picture of your upcoming day. Each day when I read your blog I am quite amazed to see the changing landscapes you encounter in a relatively short distance and the seemingly endless roads or trails you trek to reach the days destination. And today you highlighted your trek in a different fashion by including the message you received earlier from your Camino Frances amigo . I am sure that anyone who reads the message, which I found quite insightful, will be inclined to ponder on the words and in some way apply them to their own situation whatever that might be. I would just like to commend your amigo friend for the tasteful and objective manner the words have been put together and then sending them along to you so that you can chew on them as you put your body into automatic pilot and need some objective way to formulate your thoughts. That said - keep your eye on the sign posts and tend toward the westerly direction should you miss a turn ...............Take care Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Geoff

    I'm feeling good that the blog might accept my comment today. Something seems different. Anyway, not sure I have much to say. Usually I read your blog first thing in the morning but today I had to head off very early so it's the last thing I'm doing. Love the reflection on waiting and being in between. Sarah and I led a retreat on transitions recently and this in-between stage is so crucial to the transition process. Because it is nebulous, neutral, etc, etc we often try to rush back or rush ahead, short-circuiting the waiting time - but that usually doesn't go so well. Anyway, hope this time of fallow is just what you need in order to grow and yield in the next stage. Buen camino. Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete