Monday, June 16, 2014

Stage 33: Santiago to Vilaserio, 33 kms, 6.25 hours, 28C, Sun!

Farwells...Then, As Always...Walk On:

Aways the hardest part are the farewells with the special people met and enjoyed along the way. We were 10 for dinner last night at the monestary, and while the food was pretty bad, we made up for it with vino and friendship. It's like the Fellowship Of The Ring just broke up and we are off on our separate journies, yet still connected to each other by a special bond. Such is the Camino. Between us  there were four different native languages, but we all managed to communicate. A few photos...

Didier, Philip and Giselle were up to have breakfast with me quite early and to see me off. Final advice, a last check to make sure I have everything...it's sort of like leaving home. Gruf Philip even found an excuse to walk me to the door of the Monestario to see me off. 
But it was time to walk on...I was grumpy and tired yesterday, no doubt an after effect to the incredible high the day before. This morning after my first restful night in a while, I felt that it was indeed time to be off again...on my own. Except, when I finally found myself late on the trail there were all these other people walking, also with packs on their backs. Who could these be? Of course it's the merging of the remnants from the various Caminos. I passed at least 30 folks in the first hour and there others sitting in the various bars along the way. As I'm not in the habit of stoping at the bars...there were none to stop at for most of my journey...I simply walked on. Having reached Negreira I found much of the same commercialization as in Santiago and too many people, so a quick stop in the grocery store for some chocolate...I need the calories...and I walked on. 

A few speciall thank you notes to my close supporters over the next few days as I think about how to thank some of you. Other thank you notes perhaps tomorrow.

Ken, for your reminider to look behind me as I reached the top of the hill departing Santiago, this is for you my friend, and thank you for all the written support before and during this journey. We have much to discuss when I return.

I reached my stage stop at 11:30...those 21 kms just flew past...a good sleep will do that:) So I stopped for an early lunch and David and Peter...look what I found! For the "Kings of the Michelin restaurants"! 

This massive bowl contained 3 large servings...I ate it all! So good!
Then, Neil and Sarah, more Roman bridges...for you my supportive peregrinos...your daily messages provided motivation and direction for much thought on the lonely road these past almost 7 weeks. Many thanks.

And Jen, you are not forgotten...your inspiring words carried me long distances and helped me to look deeper...you will have to look closely for something special in the weeds...such was my Camino at times.
Annemarie, I know you wanted to walk this portion with me, and we will after the Portuguese Way...I found some reminders about what this trail would have been like when many of the aforementioned friends walked it last October...just add water! It must have been sooooo ugly.
It's why I chose to walk it now...a sun shine window;) it ends late Thursday.
Getting closer to the Atlantic...I can feel it in the wind. Walk on...

Buen Camino!

2 comments:

  1. At this rate, you'll be in Muxía tomorrow!

    Glad you got the photo from the top of the hill--it's a great moment. It's also the occasion for one of the oddest quotations in Brierly's guide.

    Caminho Portugues! Ultreya!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, just brilliant! Been sidetracked by the Holland-Spain game and others, Fathers Day and all the stuff the kids are doing towards the end pf the school year, teachers strike etc etc. Anyway, absolutely brilliant walk and blog! Well done, I think this will remain in your DNA for ever....

    Hope to see you back soon!
    Ariel

    ReplyDelete