Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Stage 34: Vilaserio to Cee, 40 kms, 7.5 Hours, 28C Hot!

Home By The Cee...

After too many weeks away from the ocean, I could smell it on the wind yesterday and decided to walk to the Atlantic today. It was an uncontrollable Lemming type urge...nothing I could do. This was confirmed after being woken up by first the Italians at 4 AM and then the Germans at 5:30 as they rose to walk. I don't understand? However, up they got, and on their way they went...leaving the rest of us awake and kind of shaking our heads. I left at 7 today and caught the Germans before my lunch stop and the Italians as we entered Cee...a bit satisfying. Maybe if they could all learn to walk just a little bit quicker the early risings could end, making the rest of us happier:)

My feet strangely took a bit of a beating today. Too many paved roads, but mostly chips of rock getting into my boots and socks. I have minimal feeling in my heals these days since some earlier surgery, so didn't know it was happening...flip side...maybe they won't hurt tomorrow:)

A much nicer walk today, but first a couple of sunrise images...

One would think that coming down off the Galician mountains that it would be faily low by the coast, but I have climbed to the 400M (1300-1400') elevation and descended surprisingly quickly on loose slippery rock as I neared the ocean. Mostly images from the day...

I'd never seen these old grain storage buildings made all from stone before, but there were quite a few along the trail today. Much nicer than the wooden sided storage bins.

This old cross was left right in the middle of the road...some things just don't get moved in our busy world! A hazard to navigation no doubt, but nice to see the attitude, "we'll work around it".
First glimpse.

Home by the Cee...
I forgot to comment on the Nederland's huge victory over Spain a couple of days ago. I've been looking for flags at half staff and black flags too, but I've seen neither.

Very short stage tomorrow, just 16 kms to Fisterra, and then I'll drop my gear and walk the 6 km round trip to the lighthouse located at the end of the world! 

Well, time to get some stuff done then go find the beach or a bar...or both! I can hear the gulls...and me without my umbrella;)

Buen Camino!

1 comment:

  1. It's a lovely walk through the pines, isn't it?

    There's a decent breakfast stop between Cee and Finisterre on the ocean side of the road. I have good memories of the tortilla I ate there.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete