Thursday, June 12, 2014

Stage 30: Ourense to Casa Rural Casarellos, 32+ kms, 33C, Very Hot!

Still Being Tested:

I'm finally sitting in my Casa rural after a very long, hot day of walking. Done and dusted, laundry done, me too, and I'm presently fuelling up on a tin of fish, crackers, chocolate and a drink of something not quite so healthy. Carried all this today not knowing what would greet me at the casa. Turns out a good decision, though they will provide me with what will no doubt be a very good meal tonight...typical in the Casa Rural. I'll post images of my location so you can picture this place in the country as you read on.

From my window...not too shabby for €35. The trick is finding it...but more on that to come.
Mentally when one is close to the end of a long journey it's easy to assume that the worst is behind and it will be an easy coast to the finish. However, all day yesterday I had a suspicion that I was going to pay for my day off...and pay I did. This was confirmed by an email I received late last night from Neville telling me to enjoy the climb. 

The day began early as usual because it was going to be a hot one. After a quick breakfast I was off through the quiet city streets and found my way to the Roman bridge where I took an early morning pre-sunrise shot. 
Then the climb out of the Rio Mino valley began, and the uphill seemed to continue in some form or other the entire stage. Up I climbed through the early morning light, then the sun came out and with it hundreds of flies! All over me. Up...
And up...
And up.
Finally I seemed to find some sort of summit, but then it continued upwards...as I said, seemingly all day. By the time I was at the end of the early morning climb I'd used up my full breakfast energy and was dipping into my reserve food supplies! But the day was not without it's fun too, and I actually do enjoy the climbs:) I had my supporters on the way up...
And my detractors as well...
Actually a funny thing just happened...I took a break from the blog to skype with Annemarie which was great. However after I was finished in the common room two fellows came in taking about their investments, properties listed for sale, et al. They are from Ontario. I couldn't get out of the room and back to my own space fast enough...it was like they were from a completely different planet. They are apparently on a driving tour, so as far as I'm concerned I still haven't met any one from Canada or America yet who is a peregrino. It just speaks to where my experience has taken me...re-entry will take a bit of time when I return home...but I anticipated this before departing. Tofino is sounding better and better each day:)

I digress. There was plenty of fun today as I passed over a second Roman bridge. Neil, this one is for you and when I get home I'll forward a selection of photos as you've requested. The grace of these ancient bridges is very pleasing to the eye. One of my favorite things. I had to climb a fence to take this shot...imagine, keeping this away from people.
Then there was some beautiful path ways...so typically Galician, although I'm finding many differences in the southern part of the region...not least of which is the sun! I was told yesterday that Galicia is about the only part of Spain without rain at the moment. How odd!?

And the famous vineyards which produce the special Galician vino blanco are starting to show up as well.
But the best part of the day happened about 4 hours into the journey. I had just stopped on the trail for the first time all day when I heard some noise behind me a ways back. I decided to proceed, but a few minutes later I heard my name and turned to find Billy from the UK who I hadn't seen in perhaps 3+ weeks! He is about the fastest walker I've ever met and last I'd heard through the jungle drums he was about 3 days back. My rest day coupled with two very long days allowed him to catch me. We walked on together both desperate to speak and hear our mother tongue and we stopped for a drink in Cea and yacked for another hour, before I realized it was getting late and extremely hot. I still had many kilometres to walk. Billy stayed in albergue in Cea, but we agreed to meet in Silleda tomorrow night at the albergue and will go out for dinner and to catch up...in English!! So one more to celebrate with in Samtiago and Jessica and Benito are just a day or so behind. Nice:)
On I walked. What should have taken under two hours stretched into three as I couldn't find the place. I asked for directions at two bars and a pharmacy and finally after many long walks down country roads without success I found a fellow repairing his car who gave me accurate directions. The very best thing I learned before leaving home was how to understand directions in Spanish. Has saved me countless times!

So here I am...wonder how I can duck those annoying Canadians? An example of careful what you wish for...I'd prefer the company of other peregrinos tonight...even if no language commonality. There's always a way to communicate. Long stage tomorrow, some 38 kms...earlier start to finish before the sun finishes me!
Buen Camino! There isn't a 100 km marker on this route, but I did see a road sign as some point...

1 comment:

  1. What a day! Thanks for sharing it.

    You're almost in Santiago. What's 80 km, especially if you're doing half of it tomorrow?

    Ken

    ReplyDelete