Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Ourense: 28C, hot & Sunny

Tourist!

A down day as this peregrino decided to take his body in for maintenance and soak in the geotherms. it was great. Philipe sent me off with Giselle on the small tourist train with instructions to look after his wife. That's all fine, but who was looking after me? The little train dropped us at the Japanese spa about 6 kms down stream on the main river that flows through Ourese and also forms the border between Spain and Portugal further west. It's based on the Zen principal of hot, warm and ice cold pools of mineral water, and the whole process takes about 2 hours. A nice way to spend the morning. Total relaxation and my body was pretty pleased with the process which included a good stretch. No photos as cameras are not permitted, but rest assured, I looked like a 58 year old in a Speedo;) Such is life! The good news is that there were others wearing Speedos too, but I sensed they hadn't just walked 900kms;) Philipe walked out to meet us bringing beautiful cherries to help revive the participants. I think about 3 layers of skin disappeared, plus several layers of dirt. Not sure what is going to protect me in the hot sum now as things have heated up considerably. 

We returned to town in time for a three course leisurely lunch and thought of poor Didier who walked on today. He hasn't taken a break since departing Sevilla and we couldn't talk him into staying for the day. I will miss his evening company, but I have two weeks on my hands, and the time to relax a bit. Dedier has promised to wait in Santiago for me and I will be in on Sunday morning. He tried to encourage me to walk 53 kms tomorrow to catch up to hi, as I did from Zamora. I declined the offer. Back to lunch...
Then off for a walk in the sun to tour the very nice central area of town. Down to the Roman bridge which is very high.
Then a meeting with some of Fredrico's pals...they are everywhere in Spain.
,


Quite cool, and very detailed figures.  This has been a good stop and a chance to revive the batteries. The town is quite scenic boardering both banks of the river.
The dip in the bridge is the sidewalk...one could get in real trouble on this bridge!

Tomorrow I hope to walk past Cea to a Casa Rurale that is 1 km off Camino, Casa Rellos. All in, about 28-29 kms. They will make me dinner and there is no wifi probably, so might not have a blog post until the next day. I sent them an email, so waiting to hear. Will stop in bar in Cea to confirm then walk on the 8 kms. Early start tomorrow with the heat.

Buen Camino!

5 comments:

  1. Good evening Geoff, The hot springs sound just what a tired pilgrim needs to get the b

    ReplyDelete
  2. body ready for the final push to Santiago and then to the coast if that is your plan. Perhaps ypo will choose to spend some time just wandering around France. The stop in Ourense is a good idea and I'm sure that you are enjoying not only the hot springs but the food too. By the what was for dinner? Sleep we'll walk safely. My I- pad does funny things and deleted Mose of the message so I had to repeat my thoughts. Love G..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff,
    Sorry for not reacting such a long time. Excuse: new laptop and getting use to Windows 8. Hell of a job for me.
    Anyway, I am surprised that in spite of your daily walking you are able to make such beautiful pictures and tell us your experiences every day. I like all of them, but I have some favorites. Especially the ones you have been taken on Stage 27 (Small pueblos dot the valley floor).
    Do you know the last name of AM from Zoeterwoude? Maybe I know her too.
    Thanks for showing me a part of Spain I have not visit yet.
    Hope you get some good nightrest to finish your big adventure.
    You are almost in Santiago
    Keep on going ( you and your shadow) and take good care of yourself.
    Puck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, only 28 km tomorrow--you'll be in Cea in time for your morning coffee break!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bridge with the dip, Geoff. Please can we have a copy of that when you return and process all these photos. In fact, we have a whole series of bridges in Spain and we'd love some beauties in your blogs. The Roman one is so reminiscent of Puenta de la Reine. The spa sounds like just what a tired peregrino body needs. I'm off today to Adelaide with a very small pack and no laptop so will not get to read your arrival blogs until later. So excited about the whole thing. Believe me, I'd be there with Ken, Sarah and Annemarie swinging the censor and ringing the cathedral bell for you if they'd let me. As it is, the security guard will probably stop you coming in with your pack!! Well done, champion, enjoy these next few days. Your Santiago photos will really stir the memories. Buen camino, Neil

    ReplyDelete