Monday, June 2, 2014

Stage 21: Granja de Moreruela to Tabara 26 kms, 24C Sunny!

Heading West (and a bit North too):

After a long day yesterday I promised myself that I would slow it down today...and I did. Last person out of bed and nearly the last person out of the albergue. However, that's not saying much as many of the early risers went to the bar for breakfast where I had managed to get a filling, if ordinary dinner the night before. Others were up early as they continued north towards Astorga with a planned left turn on to the Frances. So I was on the trail before most today, but I took my time enjoying the outstanding scenery and photographing whatever caught my eye. The sunrise...
One of the special things about turning west is that I had more company than usual...my shadow returned. It just hasn't been the same on the Plata always having to look for my shadow off to the side somewhere. Now it's where I'm used to seeing it on Camino...right in front of me!
Early morning light was excellent today...

But as I rounded a corner on the highway, I was blown away and nicely reminded of the reason I like to get up and walk in the early morning...
Then off road and along the side of Rio Esea ...really a reservoir now, but lovely. I felt a lot like I was hiking in the Gulf Island at home.

The trail climbed nicely and soon I had tremendous panoramic views.

As I moved onwards I found myself walking though an area of low scrub...and lots of flies, and finally my netting came out and paid for its weight in my pack in spades. I decided to bring it after a few similar events last year on the Frances...preferred to bug spray. Not exactly a fashion accessory, but nice to have.
Out across a long section of savanna and then into a productive agricultural belt.
The town in the middle is a prosperous community, unlike many pueblos seen so far which are more often than not pretty run down. The town on the left is today's destination where everyone I saw was extremely friendly...everyone, even the dogs, and I suppose the sheep too, had I seen any:)

I've started taking photos of the interesting weather veins on roof tops...you will see them as I do.

Worth noting is that the use of alternate energy generating methods through out Europe tends to set an example and puts us a bit to shame in my opinion. There are lots of ways to generate power without massive hydro dams, etc, but I apprecIate it's political...not the purpose of this forum. Wind generators on the hills and solar energy panels in the valley.
Less politically, these bodegas are typically full of wine...wonder if the key is under the mat?
I met Didier in town at the bar, shoes off, free wifi, cold drink in hand and the usual smile on his face. An interesting soul who clearly takes life as presented...much to learn from this gentleman. We walked on together as the temperature climbed until we reached our destination....the new high speed rail bed...just missing some tracks!

The albergue here isn't anything to write home about and as there were going to be quite a few loud Germans there tonight I showed Didier the name of a small hotel that I received from a French couple last night. For about $30 each we have a room with bath and our lunch and breakfast. And a semi private court yard outside our second storie room to dry our semi clean laundry. Not a bad deal. The dirt left in the sink from my laundry was amazing...just imagine what that washing machine at home will do with my worn out stuff when I return home.
Time for a look about then I'll return a few very nice emails that I've received lately. Now 660 kms from Sevilla, and I'm only pointing this out as this is the two thirds point to Santiago, Judi. Almost 58% of the way to the coast. Another short stage planned for tomorrow, 23 kms to Santa Croya, with a longer stage the next day. That's about as much forward planning as I'll do.

For those of you retired folks...enjoy your Monday morning. For those of you still working...heart felt condolences. It been a month now and I wouldn't have it any other way...for the moment;)

Buen Camino!


3 comments:

  1. Geoff the photo of the Roman bridge is absolutely stunning. Nice shot. Now about this shadow thing. If it starts answering you back I suggest a few days of walking with someone, anyone, even if they don't speak English - or speak at all for that matter. Best to at least appear to be having a conversation with a person.........business man on the way to work - but hey they let me drive a boat yesterday - 7 Orcas headed west. Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on the home stretch now, despite slowing down to a mere 26 km for the day!

    I missed the Gaudí palace in Astorga and would like to go back some day. But walking into Galicia another way is absolutely the right thing to do.

    Those of us who are working are happy for you and sad for ourselves, I think.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two-thirds of the way there - amazing. Lovely pictures, stunning! I was thinking of you today back here on the island - I had to cut the grass the other day and thought what a lovely day to chat about the World Cup..... Not much brewing really - some folks in, some out. Lampard's gone from Chelsea, Luis too. Changing of the guard......
    Keep the picture coming!
    Ariel

    ReplyDelete