Sunday, June 8, 2014

Stage 27: A Gudina to Laza, 35 kms, 7 hours, 6C up high, 22C down low, sun & cloud

Who Are You?

I could write about this from a personal perspective, but I intend to write from a Camino perspective on the lighter side after my comments yesterday, but first the sunrise from a high ridge I walked along most of the day...two photos today...while maybe three.

Some mornings I just want to stay in bed, but this is what gets me up and moving. Besides, they throw you out if you are still in the albergue at 8am. 
I haven't seen this fellow for about 3 days, so nice to have some company again...I really am loosing it:)
Last night as I ate my dinner alone in a small bar...the only customer on a grey and blustery night, I wrote my amigo Ken an email about the dinner, but couldn't send it...so, Ken this is for you to go with the soup I had last night....caldo gallego...made from the green leafy stuff like kale in the background. The best on a night like last night! We shared many bowls together in the rains of Galicia last fall.
Back to today...sorry if a bit scattered, another long stage and again tomorrow. Last night another quandary as I had to decide to take the detour route via Verin that has been put in place because of the rail construction in this area or take the original route which is 5 kms shorter than the detour. I had heard that in March the shorter route was possible, but things change. So considering life is an  adventure and to be lived, and also because today is Sunday, so limited construction activity, I opted for the shorter route. It worked, and I thin the only reason that there is a detour is all the heavy trucks roaring along the very narrow road all day would definitely be a hazard is you were walking. It is a much more memorable route than the detour as I walked and climbed along a high ridge line for about 17 kms before the first elevation drop...sometimes along a small one lane road, other times along a country trail. Here are a few of the many images I collected today...




Small pueblos dot the valley floor...just so picturesque!



I caught up to Didier about 22 kms onwards today as he left very early. This brings me to the point of today's note...I asked an older German couple if they had seen Didier. The response was the French guy was further along. No first name, just a nationality...and yet they have seen and spoken with him for the past 8-10 days. I'm apparently known as the fast walker from Canada...I'm ok with that...it could be much worse. Others as the German Couple, the Italian, the French Couple, the guy who snores, and so on. I try very hard to remember peregrino names...a sigh of respect and connection. Most don't apparently worry too much about that...a difference from the Frances, where names ARE important:) After catching up to Didier we walking the last 13 kms together...working on my French! Determined to improve my French before tackling the Le Puy Camino. 

Lots of dogs today, most friendly or sleeping...

A cross to remember those peregrinos who have died on the journey...sadly it happens.
The decent was wonderful...steep sided valley walls and a good road surface through pine forests with flowers along the side. There is Laza in the distance...

Lastly before I go check on my line drying laundry and get organized...interesting way marks today.

More climbing tomorrow...ok...of to look at the laundry.

Buen Camino 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Some day I'm going to grow tall kale like that if I can figure out how it's done. I wonder if it takes more than one season for it to get so tall.

    Then I will figure out how to make caldo gallego.

    I like the photographs today, especially the one of the wet gravel road. I don't know why that one speaks to me.

    Buen camino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful lighting in your morning pics Geoff. The roads look walkable and I wonder if they were however it didn't stop you from taking exceptional shots for the rest of the day. The soup sounds tasty
    . Our kale is nearly finished and we will miss it, a Black Russian kale tender and mild. Walk safely my dear. You are always in our thoughts. G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Geoff

    It sounds (and looks) like you made a good choice of route in the end. We are interested in your comment about how people are identified (i.e. without names being used much). Is this because it is a quieter route that attracts a more introverted type of walker? Or is there more going on? We are reminded of the David Whyte poem 'Camino' in his Pilgrim series where he speaks of one of the important things about pilgrimage being that it takes us to that humble place where our name is simply peregrino. I quote, 'But your loss brought you here to walk under one name and one name only, and to find the guise under which all loss can live; remember, you were given that name every day along the way, remember, you were greeted as such, and you needed no other name, other people seem to know you even before you gave up being a shadow on the road and came into the light, even before you sat down with them, broke bread and drank wine, wiped the wind-tears from your eyes: pilgrim they called you again. Pilgrim.'

    Buen camino pilgrim

    Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reference to David Whyte, Neil and Sarah!

    ReplyDelete