Saturday, October 1, 2016

Stage 32: Mos - Pontevedra, 30 kms, sunny, 22

What Was It I Was Going To Write About?

Good question. I had an idea in my head at some point, but somewhere during today's shuffle I forgot what it was going to be. Hmmmmm? Oh well, I can always fall back on a chronological review of the day. 

We stayed in a tight little albergue last night. Annemarie loved it, but not enough to stay in one again tonight. It's ok, we are in a small cheap one star special, but it's adequate. We had a long day planned and we were up with everyone else early. It stays dark here longer, so after a breakfast we set off in the dark...four intrepid peregrinos. We climbed right out of the gate this morning and the view as we started down was pretty nice with the early morning ground fog.

Will call this the sunrise shot today as the early sun coming over the mountain beside us caught the hillside opposite. 

We stopped for a great cup of tea and a bit of food in Redondela then walked another hill to find a very nice shell collection left by one would assume many peregrinos.
And a group of riders.
Then it was down to Arcade where we found the ocean and...another bridge! Ooooooo! 

It was actually a pretty nice bridge, so we stopped at the other end for lunch.


Then off we went again.

We met a lovely lady coming out of her vineyard with grapes in her apron. She handed Annemarie and I each a big bunch and made our day! Kindness of strangers seems a repetitious story, but we've found it many times on the Way. 




We walked an alternate route in along a quiet tree lined creek. Not much of a stream as streams go, but so much nicer than the road with all its weekend traffic.


At some point during the walk we discussed the merits of the Compostela with Camino tour groups in evidence today. Tight little groups with day packs walking those precious 100 kilometres to Santiago. It was expressed within our small cohort that it doesn't seem right. The point is has been discussed endlessly. However, I feel it encourages participation, and after all, we all walk for our own reasons. As I've said before, it's a very personal journey. You get out of it what you put into it. We talked about whether or not to pick up a compestella at the end...it's not really about that. I like it as a reminder of why I walked. For me, this route hasn't been very spiritual compared to the others. But that's just me, on this trip. Annemarie has felt differently, although I've seen little poetry, usually an indication of what she's feeling. I've missed the poems. I'll decide about the compestella when I was in. Three days to think about it. Time to meet for a wander and dinner.
Bom Caminho...thanks Ken!

3 comments:

  1. You're almost there. Tomorrow in Padrón? I'd love to go there, after eating their peppers. So delicious.

    The generosity of people along the Camino is wonderful. You'd think they'd get sick of strangers walking past, but they don't. Or they don't feel that way all the time. Especially in the last 100 km before Santiago.

    Annemarie has two sticks--does that mean Geoff has one?

    You'll be interested in what the physiotherapist said to me when I saw him about my sore knee. One of my glutes was too weak, and that was causing all kinds of imbalances. So I was walking in a half-assed way.

    But the exercises are helping and the knee no longer hurts. Still, I like to make the half-assed joke.

    What's on the menu tonight? More salt cod? Or a bowl of caldo? I just ate breakfast but my stomach is rumbling . . . .

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, we've always known you walk in a half assed way:) Good to hear that you have a solution. I neglected to put in my comments that I fixed Annemarie's pole. I have always rolled strips on my poles for just such an eventuality, so used the electrician tape to repair at coffee this morning. Now we both have poles. I lent her mine in the interim. We are sitting in a wine bar enjoying a pre-dinner drink Alberhino blanco, a specialty of Galicia with the usual complementary tapas tasters! I guess we will have to wait a couple of hours until 9:00 to find dinner. Sorry, you are on your own for more food! Best

      Delete
  2. 9:00? Late for a peregrino. But enjoy!

    ReplyDelete