Monday, September 19, 2016

Stage 22: Coimbra - Alfeloas (don't bother looking for it), 35 kms, Sunny 32

Roads, Roads and More Roads:-(

We were warned about all the road walking on this route. Roads and cobbles, cobbles and roads. Hmmm. Will give it a few more stages before I make an assessment. Not a very picturesque route today, but the walk had its moments. Of course the pre-sunrise as we left Coimbra.
and the sunrise
And it's beautiful impact along the road, road, road.
We were getting ourselves back in the groove early today as we wandered along in the early morning light.
I was really looking forward today to the walk. It's been a long break and I'm finding the break between, that time between, becoming a little tedious. We saw some special places, but came here to walk. So today we walked:-)
A lovely little church showed itself...
We walked into a little morning ground fog, I dropped back to play! In my happy place now.
Small villages, you could be anywhere in Europe.
I saw some Egrits and a couple of herons this morning, but I was slow off the mark. I did however, capture the early morning gossip line as I passed.
Liked this plant. I'm sure there is a cheap Japanese move in this somewhere. The flowering plant consumes the house...bases for a FOX network made for TV movie?
Of course I spotted some local art...
I spotted a nice little church with a great bell, the usual cross and a beaut of a weather vane!
Then there are the Portuguese dogs. I must say a huge disappointment so far. This one was unigue in that he could climb walls, but otherwise a bit tame. I told a dog that was barking at me to be quiet, and it actually did what it was told. So out of your league guys...a disgrace to your Spanish cousins! Rob you would love it here...the dogs listen to you.
Then we cam to a big bad noisy highway with nasty trucks roaring by at high speed. Hate road walking, hate highways with big trucks even more! Just as I was putting on my headphones to cancel out the noise I noticed that there were lots of cars pulled over and parked along the highway. Market Monday I thought! Love markets!! 


And there were all sorts of chicks at the market too!

We stopped for coffee and watched the community help a tanker truck pass another truck in the middle of the market.
We stopped to munch on a couple of ears of corn.
Looked behind me and spotted three masked strangers! Who are those guys?
I contributed to pilgrim shrinkage today. I admit it...so good! We walked past some wine caves and you could smell the grapes fermenting! Nice.
Then the best, the very biggest weather vane showed itself!
Wow!
The nicest part of the walk was at the end...still road, road, road. But some nice streets as we walked to our albergue. 
Our humble home tonight...in a school. Room all to ourselves,,,
My spot!
But I have a bed, it's dry and I'm thankful for that. And the cold show was amazing!! We walked longer than planned today. Things sometimes work out that way. This one was definitely another Brierley muck up as he had the albergues in the wrong place, the wrong town, and we had to walk on...with plenty of directional help from the locals I might add! Lovely people. Tomorrow another long stage, but all are well and now it's time to blow this bar and find some food. I'm hungry!! Oh and we are in an Irish bar...photo tomorrow Paul.

Bom Caminho!



1 comment:

  1. Brierley's books need to be replaced--sloppy research and bad info.

    Too bad about the road walking today, but it must make the quiet paths seem all the more peaceful.

    Great photos as usual, especially that dog.

    Bom Caminho!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete