Monday, September 12, 2016

Stage 20: Camariñas - Fisterra: 60 kms (40 by taxi), Cloud, Mist, Sun Glimpses 20

What Is The End?

A fast run in a taxi and suddenly we were in Cee with something special ahead. Our long awaited walk to the faro at Fisterra. This is my walking journal, so to recap. In 2013 when Annemarie and I crossed the Camino Frances we arrived into Santiago without adequate time to make the journey to Fisterre and the faro. Work and implementing an exit strategy from same beckoned. However we promised each other that we would one day return to walk to the lighthouse together. Eight months later I arrived into Fisterra after a solo walk on the Via de la Plata and Camino Sabreses having received Annemarie's blessing to walk onwards from Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia. However, during the journey out to Fisterra I made the decision to maintain the spirit of our agreement and not walk out to the faro. I returned home strongly feeling a missing piece remained. 

Last year I was determined to walk from Le Puy to Santiago, but of course not to Fisterra. A promise had been made, and in any event fate intervened and I never got out of France, st least not via shank power. C'est la vie. 

Then came this year and the Camino Dos Faros. Finally, I thought...the missing piece. Then we had the interruption in the walk which I learned last year can happen in the blink of an eye. So when Annemarie told me yesterday that she was good to go again we excitedly made plans to travel to Cee and walk from there to Fisterra and on out to the faro, considered the western end of the ancient world. 






We have just returned from our experience. 



Personal symbolism all around.



I have only one question. It's has come up so many times on my Caminos...
What is the end? 

On a lighter note, did you wonder what the result of the boat rescue was yesterday? Me too! So I went to look last night. Just wait for the tide to ebb.
Perhaps I have the answer to my question...

Buen Camino from kilometre '0'. Tomorrow we head south to find the sun...I can't wait!!!

5 comments:

  1. This trip, the end certainly isn't the end! Will you walk out to Finisterre again after completing the Portuguese?

    I bought the pin I keep on my hat at a souvenir stand near the lighthouse. If I were to lose it, I'd have to go back.

    Enjoy Finisterre and the bus ride to Porto!

    ¡Buen Camino!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not likely. The walk out isn't one of my favourites. Of course when we walk the Levante we will have to walk out to the coast somewhere to stick our big toe in the Atlantic. Maybe take the Muxia turnoff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the walks. I even liked walking past the big carbide plant. It helped that I ate at the café right before it. I'd be up for taking the turn-off to Muxia, though. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff and Annemarie

    This is my first chance to get back to your blog for three days (apart from posting as we downed a quick beer in a bar) and to catch up on your amazing photos and your news. Actually, I heard the news from Mary, who, would you believe it, we met today just outside of Santarem. We came across these two women, one whom we'd met yesterday (Mia from Denmark, and another woman who said she was from Canada. Where I said? West coast, she said, west is best. Where on the west coast, I said. Victoria, she said. Do you know Annemarie Travers, I said, my little brain doing the math? Yes, she said. Are you called Mary,, I said. Yes, she said. Bingo!!!! ) anyway, Mary filled me in on the news of your decision to finish up on the dos Faros and head to Finisterre. I am glad you got there and shared that a,aging experience together, even if it didn't quite work out as planned. The Camino continues to surprise us all. You have the wisdom and grace to know that you just go with it so well done, team Travers, you rock!!!

    We have had another huge day of walking. We are absolutely loving the Portuguese and look forwArd to sharing part of it with you both. I'm not sure how it will unfold over the next few days but we may get in to Coimbra on the Friday night. If you are there early, great, if not we will wait for you, of course. We might also not arrive until Saturday if we take a rest day as initially planned at Tomar. I will be able to keep you posted on how we are going, hopefully. Either way, it will be good. So, friends, it is late and I should be asleep. So glad, Caesar worked out, I think Julia's might get his first outing tomorrow as rain is for sate here too. Warm best and burn Camino, bom caminho, Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrived Porto late this afternoon! We are now in the same time zone:-)

      Delete