Thursday, October 3, 2013

Stage 16: Castrojeriz to Fromista, 27 kms, 5 hrs, 23C

A Walking High!

Please don't miss Annemarie's entry posted before this one.

Those that walk regularly will understand the title of today's post...I know my cousin Meg does. Today was one of those perfect walking days...so perfect in fact that I may have to wait some time to experience another. It was supposed to rain...but it didn't. Instead it was cloudy with pockets of sunshine, blue patches and about 15C when I set off this morning and a heavy head wind developed as the morning progressed. No fear about the wind cause I was floating anyway. I had been invited to walk with our Aussie pals, but I decided during the night to walk solo, leave early and take some time for myself to work through a few things and of course to play with my camera. I was originally worried about Annemarie getting to our next destination and having the hole in her tire patched, so I raced along up a steep climb, across the Mesa and down the 18% grade on the other side....




Great for your legs and the ol' heart! I kept passing the others with a brief greeting and that special walker's high just kind of snuck up on me...endorphins...best thing! Then the light started to change and I just lost myself in the pleasure of the walk...

I slowed down long enough to walk with a lovely lady from Roma who moves between Milano and Roma with the seasons...must be nice! After a brief stop in a wayside church to obtain the daily sello in my pilgrim passport (must have one per day) I crossed over an 11th C bridge 

As I crossed, there was Annemarie grinning at me from the pack transfer truck....a brief word and a sigh of relief and off we both went on our individual journeys. There she goes!

And we passed into the next province...

Much happier now, I was able to proceed at my normal walking pace and spent the next half hour rehydrating and munching some mountain mix I'd prepared. Still about 17 kms to go...and as I moved through the last of the folks in front over the next hour I suddenly realized that I was on my own...the best!! I had the road pretty much all to myself. Better and better!



The photos say it all...I just lost myself in the moment and time just disappeared...we've found this just happens...the kilometres simply tick away. Easy to do on a day like today...




At some point I kind of dialled in again and thought I'd transported to the Netherlands...


What I'd found was a major irrigation canal well above the local landscape...

And then I was 'home' in Fromista where you can find one of Spain's finest Romanesque churchesk which we are going to see right after I finish this (Erin, Church of St. Martin if you wish to look it up...I have many photos for you). 

On a final note...Annemarie mentioned the incredible fury of the storm last night...this is the best I could capture with a point and shoot...

By the way...did I say it was windy today?

Buen Camino! Annemarie is all splinted up and has meds, so she plans to walk tomorrow with pack et al!

 








No comments:

Post a Comment