Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Takamatsu, Rest Day

And So the Ending Begins

It's late as I sit down to write my journal tonight. I hadn't planned to write today, but with a couple of glasses of fine Rioja keeping me awake I've decided to print something I wrote earlier today. 

I spent last evening drinking Kilkenny beer and eating fish and chips in an Irish pub in the company of Dara, his son Liam and our German pal Simon. The food good, the beer better and the company excellent! The conversation was lively and exactly what I needed. 
 
 
Today was a simple day of trying without success to sleep in followed by a messaging session with Annemarie and a very nice phone call to speak with my parents. I also took some time to sort out my plans and made the decision to fly home two days early. The thought of more time spent in Tokyo or some other huge city makes little sense after the comparative contemplative isolation I've experienced these past almost 7 weeks. If a small city the size of Takamatsu is a bit overwhelming, just imagine what Tokyo will feel like! Besides, I've been away two months and it's time to finish up here and head for home. So I'll walk into Tokishima May 14th where it's hoped that Liam, Dara and I will have dinner with David Morton and then I'll have a regrouping day on the 15th and fly to Tokyo and then on to Vancouver on the 16th. Home in time to celebrate Annemarie's birthday! 

With these plans executed, my mind is now clear to stay present and enjoy the remaining four days of my Henro. I feel very good about my decisions and there will be time for the needed reflection when I arrive home and settle in again. Much to sort through. Almost too much...there will be some walking as I arrive home and re-enter.

At about 10:00 I wandered out and found a cheese and ham bun at a bakery for breakfast high I shared in a park with the pigeons, and then walked down to see the famous Ritsurin Gardens. My body needed some exercise and felt better for the effort, though I maybe only walked just over 7 kms. It was enough. The gardens were nice, if a little barren of flowers for my liking. I've seem more flowers, many more on the walk, but it was nice to find a quiet place to just quietly wander. 
 
 
The most colourful thing in the gardens were these young children in their bright red caps.
 
 
I found a little lunch...
 
Had a brief nap while watching a poor movie and then met Kristine at a Spanish restaurant for a good meal of salad, paella and green olives. Of course there were a couple of glasses of Rioja tinto:)  Now that felt more like a Camino!! We chatted about our experiences on the Henro and briefly about life afterwards. A nice evening. 
 
While in the park I found a quiet place to sit and things flowed as they have more and more each day while on this journey. I've learned that I can't stop it, so I don't. I have known for some time that I had to walk the Henro. That I would walk the Henro. For a long time I didn't know why I was so compelled to do so. For two years before I decided to go I spoke to only a very select few about it. In a way it haunted and pulled at me. I didn't understand why, but I think I do a little better now, and I think it will become clearer as time passes. Thankfully Annemarie understands. In this I'm very fortunate for her support and the support of my family. It's been a very personal journey this time like I haven't experienced since I walked the Via de la Plata. I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the last few days here and whatever is presented and then to returning home to see family and friends. It's been an extraordinary experience. 


Walk through the gardens
I pause to write a haiku 
They pour from my mind

So contemplative 
Peace in the morning temple
Moments to hold close

Slowing down to taste 
The last days of my Henro
My soul deeply touched

Feeling Shokuko 
Memories to long cherish 
Something special found

Arrive from the road
With care from Matsumoto
Emotions open

Early morning dawn
I strive to touch eighty eight
Reach for Nirvana

Time for reflection
The long road that's Shokuko 
A circle complete.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff

    We were delighted that for some reason the wifi worked this morning and we were able to open your blog and catch up on the past few days. Wow, you are getting really close to completing this amazing journey and closing the circle. We can sense you are in a mellow and reflective place reminiscent of when you drew to the end of the Via de la Plata and we know how important this is for you. The overflowing of haiku seems connected with all that - as if something is pouring out of you. It's wonderful that you've been gifted with the accommodation to finish ... the Henro provides! We're not sure whether we'll get another wifi window like this, so if we don't post in the next couple of days, know that we are thinking of you here in the land down under. Grace and blessings on these final days. Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you both for your typically wonderful support throughout thIs journey. Words are difficult to find. Will connect when I return home.
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil is right--something is happening here, even if it isn't exactly clear, it will come into focus.

    Funny, I was up at 4:30 yesterday morning and checked the blog. It wasn't there. I was too early. I ended up in the garden plot at daybreak, turning over earth and hauling out bags of dandelions. Most of my spring chores are finished now--most but not all. Today I head into the university to start assembling material for my next project--the August walk.

    Enjoy your days of rest.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete