Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Stage 33: Nyūgawa - Saijō, T60-64, 36 kms, Hazy & Sun, 24

Trekking the Ridge Lines on Buddha's Birthday!

I really didn't know that Buddha had a birthday, but he does and it was today! So there you go. All these new things I'm learning and being exposed to on this trip. Amazing!

It was a very long day what with a high climb, long descent, 5 temples and 36 kms. Then of course there was a shower, laundry, a kombini dinner and of course an ice cold tall beer to cap it off! Now I have to write the blog in my humble small room tonight, but I'm ok with that because it's simple pleasures after a beautiful walking day. I'm going to post a series of photos with as few comments as possible tonight. Hope that's ok? 

I did go to Joyfull for breakfast today then hit the road and after quite a bit of flat land walking the road began to rise off the flood plain.
As I passed these vending machines I got a little worried about the climb ahead. Was there really this much need for all these fluids? 
 
Love the small road side religious markers.
 
The road ran out at a parking lot. I'd been sort of wondering where the cars that passed me on the way up had been going. Turned out that many folks use this as a day hike up to T60. A day hike! I just don't have all day. Apparently they do as I passed them flaked out sitting on the side of the trail somewhat regularly on the climb in. It was pretty steep and if I'd been smarter I'd have rested more on the way up, but the long day ahead kept me moving. I was soaked by the time I reached the top! So many stairs...again!
 
This temple had a very nice feel about it and if I'd had time, I'd have hung out longer. 
 
 
The monk who painted my stamp told me all about Buddha's BDAY and told me that I should be drinking sweet tea. So I did. Mother and daughter were serving. The deal is you have to put two ladles over top of Buddha's head (you can see the small figure) then two into your cup, then you drink it, put the cup on top of your head and sing out yamos! Actually that's what you do in Greece. I was practicing:)  Actually I had the four ladies laughing as I tried to figure out the ritual process. It was lots of fun. Another monk explained to me that the food on the left represents the sea and the land.
 

 
As you can imaging, there were prayers and ceremonies in all the temples today to celebrate. 
 
Then I started down and found the road for a short time...passed by a motorcycle Henro!
 
I almost missed the turnoff. Ha! Sometimes it's so overstated, other times not enough.
 
Then down a long trail. Strangely no view points from the top and I didn't find any until I was well down the mountain. You'll have to take my word for it, I was up pretty high. Here is a lower down shot or two. Pretty hazy.
 
 
One of the cool things about the hike down was that much of it was along ridge tops where on each side there is basically a very steep pine and cedar covered slope. 
 
 
This went on for quite some time, and then something special happened. The flowering trees showed up as I got lower. 
 
 
An outstanding display of light and colour.
 
 
 
Once again today I stirred up a nice long snake. This one is over a metre long and it scurried up the nearest wall beside me. It's a bit like find Waldo, but it is there.
 
I caught up to this couple from Seattle. Note the shorts. Something of a faux pas in Japan, but not up to me to be the attire warden! We chatted for a couple of minutes then I moved on. I also met one of the many Dutch couples on the descent. They'd basically given up quite some time ago and were now just visiting the temples by bus and train and seeing the ones where there is some nature. We also had a very nice talk. The Dutch are always more open when I tell them most of Annemarie's family live in Holland. I know my way around the country quite well, and that helps with the discussions too.
 
A few more photos from the day. Collection is growing!
A fellow I see and chat briefly with most days. He is staying here as well tonight. He's a better Henro than I am...he wears all his gear! 
 
First impressions of my hotel as I walked up. Dinner source in the foreground.  
The place is ok, and my landlady gave me a nice osettai. Oversized slippers that fit. They were brand new! Ha! My green pants are falling off me now. Good thing I'm not walking in them as I originally planned to!
 
Two long days ahead. 35 tomorrow without any significant climbs, so a relaxing day. The next day not so much, but that's a story for another time:) Present moment!

4 comments:

  1. Pretty good day Geoff. The trail was surely challenging and, I thought, some what rugged compared to what you have experienced in other temple areas. I was impressed that you were able to "walk the ridge" through the trees as you descended from the mountain! Not my cup of tea but if its the only way down I guess that helps to encourage you to get going .....Wonderful colors as you descended into the valley - must have given you a bit of lift just to experience the change in the trees.

    Only 35 klm tomorrow which you call a "relaxing" day. Does that mean you can sleep in until 5:30 and have a relaxing breakfast before you start your "relaxing day". Raining this morning in Victoria so I think so I think I will just have a second cup of coffee and join you for a relaxing day ...................

    Cheers Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff

    Just caught up on yesterday and today. You are motoring at present... kombini man!! It sounded like quite a climb but with a good reward at the top. Glad you avoided too much confrontation with that snake. That's two you've survived - well done. I will stick with you when we are in bear country!! Love those slippers man - will some lucky cyclist be a beneficiary of them or do you hand them back each morning? Another 'relaxing' day coming up as your Dad points out. We know you love the challenge so enjoy. Best, Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Neil, I just got caught up. Two long days--36 and 35--you must be beat. And the climbs on top. No wonder your pants are hanging off. I'm sorry to learn that shorts are a faux pas in Japan--when it gets hot, who wants their legs covered?

    Beautiful photographs as usual. You're giving us a real sense of the country you're moving through--thanks for that.

    I hope you got two suppers after all that walking! Two trips to the kombini?

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geoff! Hello from Ariel and I! Just catching up as life has been nutty here. I feel a taxi on a hot day when one is sporting a sunburn is reasonable and you should eat as much ice cream as you want. Cheering you on from our "road"---Ariel, Lis and the boys

    ReplyDelete