Monday, May 1, 2017

Stage 32: Imabari- Nyūgawa, T56-59, 30 kms, Sunny, 24

A Much Better Walk!

I'm sitting at a new FamilyMart kombini having just finished lunch. It's too early to arrive at my rest place, so I took a chance to see if there was a place to sit, and because it's brand new, there is! Very nice to sit at a table and put the post together verses sitting on the floor in my room. This place is so current that there are plugs at each table for electronic devices. Imagine, spaghetti with chop sticks! 
 
It seems the bikers were very quiet last night. That, or my ear plugs combined with a healthy dose of ibuprofen and three sleeping matts under me left me deeper asleep than usual. Any way, I'm glad to have had a solid sleep until 5. After an early breakfast my hosts walked me to the door and gave me a very nice osettai to see me on my way. A very nice towel. However, there was no way I could carry it space or weight wise. I don't hold onto things on these walks and after taking a photo for the nice memory I put it carefully into a front basket on a bicycle hoping that the owner would appreciate the nicely wrapped towel. 
 
Then I walked to the train station and at the door I met Kristine about to get on a train to return to where I walked from yesterday. She is staying in Imabari for two nights and will be a day behind me until my next possible rest day. Great to see a friendly face and say goodbye as she ran for her train and I continued through the station and out the other side. I didn't have the heart to tell her how much I had disliked my walk along that same stage yesterday. I've learned that two people can walk the same section and have completely different experiences. I'll ask her about it next time we connect. 

I passed all sorts of students, which brings to mind a correction I have to mention. It seems that most schools remain in session for Golden Week and the post offices are indeed open. So I'm carrying a ridiculous amount of money with me that in any other country would make me a little concerned. But not here. Honesty levels are very high. I guess they have changed how the country operates during the holiday week. Could be things are more closed on some days than others. 

I arrived at T56, Taisanji which was ok. Maybe a 5 on a 10 scale. 
 
I'm getting a great collection of these dragons. 
 
Then crossed some nice rural areas to T57 where I met a couple from Holland who had big packs and were camping lots. This temple has an interesting story. It seems that on the summit of Mt. FUtō Kūkai conducted the fire ritual (goma) in order to prevent accidents at sea. On the last day of this ritual Amida Nyorai appeared from the ocean. ( Note, we are quite a way inland here so I'm guessing that the land was lower and closer to the ocean in the early days?).   Can you see the frog?
 
 
I headed off across country towards T58, Senyūji aware of the warning I'd had about the steepness of the approach. For sure it was steep, but I guess the sleep I had gave me a boost because I was ok with it. That's not always the case. I'll be hoping for a good sleep tonight! Great views from the top looking back towards Imabari. One of the guards at the temple gate before all the stairs. Yes sir, I'll behave!
 
 
The temple had a really nice feel to it. 
 
The woman who painted my stamp had her two young kids with her and they were pretty cute. 
 
Then a long walk down,
 
 
 
 
and across the plain to T59, Kokubunji the provincial temple of Ehime Prefecture founded in 741. Kind of a basic place except for the school class that we're getting a lesson about the temple. 
 
The kids were pretty curious about me and when it turned out that their teacher had been to Vancouver and Victoria things got down right friendly! 
 
Seems if you shake the hand of KD and make a wish that you will be rewarded. Needless to say it was the first thing the kids lined up for:)
 
After that I found the noisy highway again and stopped enjoying myself. I'd wanted to walk without music today, so I took a chance with a poorly marked variant to get away from the noise. It worked, but required some navigation to find my way. Not so well marked. 

Eventually I found myself here and once I finish and post this I'll walk the last 4 kms to my stop for the night. I get a little tired of the same sort of room each night so it's a treat to sit here with my music on and write. I'm in a cheap place tonight so will have to eat out at another kombini unless I can find something on my map. I'm looking....not much very close by. There is a Joyfull restaurant a few kilometre from my business hotel, the Japanese Denny's, on my way back to join the Henro in the morning. I'll plan to stop in as I pass by because I know I can get fried eggs for breakfast and toast. Will need the boost because tomorrow is a solid climb. I have to do it because T60 sits at the summit:(  My pack will be as light as I can make it. Mind you, if you saw what the Dutch couple were carrying you'd feel very badly for them. I did. I think after looking at my maps that it must be the middle mountain. It couldn't be the far one. 
 
There's 4 more temples to visit after the descent so a long day of visitations and trail hiking, but I can't get into my place tomorrow until 4pm. Anyway, it has to be better than walking along the side of a busy highway. Today was much better.  I'm about 3.5 kms off the route tonight. Best I could do during Golden Week, but I have a decent business hotel with a small fridge and a nice view of tomorrow's mountain stage...all for ¥5,400, or about $65. 

Found this today...mint condition with flat screen and steering on right side. 

1 comment:

  1. The photo of the bamboo forest is remarkable. The kids are great, too. At first I thought they were wearing yellow construction helmets--taking safety to a new level--but after a few seconds I realized what I was looking at.

    You've become a temple connoisseur!

    Great shot from the top of the mountain, too. What a climb! And more to come.

    Carry on! Enjoy the spaghetti and today's walk.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete