Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Day 21: Stage 17: Montreux, 28 kms, Hot, 30°

Freddie!!


I took this from our skylight window in our little apartment last night.

This morning we were able to make our own breakfast which was very nice after eating out so much in the last three weeks. You forget the simple pleasure of just making breakfast and taking some time to enjoy it. However, we didn’t have much time as we had a long day ahead so we went out our door, down the 5 fights of uneven stairs and found our way downhill to the lake. 

I will say this about today. If you’re a somewhat serious walker or even someone who just likes to enjoy a few kilometres, days don’t get much better than this. 

It’s already quite late here and we don’t have Wi-Fi in our a hostile so I’m burning some of my data to get this posted. For that reason, there won’t be very much commentary today. However, l hope you can see what a spectacular day it was here from some of the images I’ve uploaded. 

We started out walking along the lake past small villages and through very expensive areas.









The scenery was absolutely gorgeous!

Lac Leman was strutting today!



We eventually left the lake and climbed up into the world heritage designated vineyards on the eastern slopes of the lake. They were originally started by a certain sect of monks, and eventually transferred to the Lausanne district. We enjoyed a bottle of the wine from here last night and it was truly excellent.

Of course as pilgrims passing through vineyards we had to test the grapes, just a little. They were super sweet!









As we continued along the vineyards we passed through several small villages and towns. In this particular town we decided to stop at this bakery and picked up some sandwiches because we figured there just wasn’t going to be that many opportunities. And as it turned out, it was a pretty long day.

We drove down to the lake again and walked for a while.

But then there was a very steep climb away from the lake and the temperature was beginning to move north of 25.



As the profile in the video below will show you from here on in it was just a matter of climbing understanding through the vineyards. It was so special! I would rate this day as probably one of my top 10 days of distance walking during the past 10 years that I’ve been doing this. At some point I’m gonna have to sit down and make a list of the special days. But I’m pretty sure this one will be on the list.





As we moved along the lake there were three monasteries who’s orders had been responsible for building so much of the vineyards along the slopes here. The next two photographs are of two of them. 



I’m thinking that this is one of the photographs that will end up on my special wall this winter when I update it.



We found a little shed and a bench across from a small trailer that one of the vineyards had set up to offer tastings of their wine. Annemarie said should we, and I said of course we should! It was a memorable lunch for sure.







Another of the monasteries.




This was another one of the small villages along the lake. From here we again climbed up to the highest point on the walk today. It was at least 30° and I think still climbing.

This is looking up the glacial valley that leads up to the Grand Saint Bernard Pass. Tomorrow morning we’ll start that process and I’m really looking forward to it! Sadly, the weather isn’t looking too tremendous when I climb in about five days. However, weather has been known to change and we’ll just have to see what happens.





This character spent quite a bit of time here and as well no one in these parts. I don’t have time tonight to tell you more, but Mr Google can!



I picked up the fairy for six of the last 8 km. If you’re interested, you’ll also have to Google about this fork in the lake. There is a story.



Well it was a beautiful day, the real reason for today’s walk was to get to Montreux where one of my favourite artists, Freddie Mercury lived for a good piece of his life. His statue on the Lake shore has become quite famous, and there’s actually a lineup to take pictures of it every day. Now I have one of my own! A festival is held here every September…in about two weeks I think.  



The lake ferry. 



We’re staying in the youth hostile again tonight and somehow the Camino again managed to provide. This time an extremely cold beer with a great view down the lake! Well we saved on accommodation cost tonight we more than made out four with our dinner. However, the dinner was very good and was followed by some even better ice cream!



The sign basically says Walkers are king. I didn’t wtite it, but I like it!

We ended the day with this. 

Then this. 

In my travel world, days don’t get much better than this. Good night!

7 comments:

  1. Hi you two. Sounds like a special day! Take them when they come. I’m sure you know that. We’re enjoying your blog and Annmarie’s posts. Stay happy! JandC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The last couple of days have been special for sure!

      Delete
  2. I can see why you both has a memorable day. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that you and Annemarie experienced one of those exceptional days that has raised the bar a good notch when compared to past hiking experiences glorious as they were that will set a new standard of expectations going forward. Everything seemed to click today which is the way you might like it to happen as you progress into the next stage of your quest. Sorry we are not there to share a glass of wine with you - maybe 2 glasses!!

    Cheers for now Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great day from the spectacular pics taken. Nice to hear the Festival at Montreux still goes on. Never saw a fork in a lake before, have seen them in the road though :) Be safe. Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received your Deep Purple reference. I should have remembered that! I listened to it often enough and even saw them in concert back in their glory days. The festival is in July, and I was so tired when I wrote the blog that I think I said September

      Delete