Saturday, August 13, 2022

Day 11: Stage 9: Dover, 28 kms, Sun, 30°+

The Path Is Where Your Feet Take You



As always the night before the start of a long walk I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve. Not much sleep! That’s ok, a part of the process and the fun. 

I was awake at 5:30 and after a light breakfast in our room I was out the door and on my way by 6:10. The sun was up and the morning’s cool air surrounded me for the first hour.  It was perfect. 



The first signs of the Via Francigena showed up very quickly once I’d left the old city walls. 

Leaving the last few bits of town I was greeted by thick ground fog which of course forced me to pull my camera out. 

First stage of the VF and my favourite start presents. 

Trees ghosted into view. Could anything be better?

As the ground fog slowly started to burn off, the air began to warm. It’s going to be well over 30° today. I’m out here trying to get ahead of the heat, but I know it’s pretty much a hit or miss. At some point it’s going to catch me. The question is when? 

So much like walking in southern France. Soon we will be walking in eastern France. Just days away from the Jural Mountains. But that’s a few days away, and I put those thoughts away. 

No doubt about it, I’m pointed in the right direction! Supportive signs always appreciated! I’m learning to trust the signs. The first 4-5 days on the North Downs the trail marking was poor. It did improve somewhat later. 

St Mary’s church. Very old and sadly very locked up! 



There you go parents, still alive and kicking! Nerdy sort of hat, but the very best one I’ve used on our walks. 

Lots of open field walking. The loose straw is pretty slippery so it’s good to have sticks along.

A new favourite summer home!







At Shepherdswell a planned pit stop at the Co-op to get a cold drink and a bit of food. Some people use to stop here for the night making this two stages to, but the pub that did this has closed down. 

A stop on a shady park bench to enjoying the cold sports rehydration drink.  

A quick look at the church next door.

Then back on the open trail. 

When doing a bit of route planning last winter I tried to shorten this stage which is traditionally32 km to make it a little more manageable for Annemarie. The reality is so many of these ancient pilgrimage roads go all over the place and not necessarily along their original path. They often follow existing roads that are convenient to today’s transportation needs. This is particularly true for the Francigena, particularly in France. So it doesn’t really matter where you walk as long as you get to your destination! So I decided on a beautiful one lane road later on in the walk to miss a bulge in the route thereby shaving off 3-4 kms.




If you think our fuel prices are high. CAD$2.76/L!!!

Finally the first view of the English channel. 

Then down a steep gradient at the end and straight to meet Annemarie and head for a pub for lunch and a cold beer! I was in Dover in 5 hours 45 minutes. The cool start was a blessing. By the time we stopped for lunch it was past 30°. Annemarie found her way down on a bus after breakfast and laundry. A clean apres walking shirt and shorts appreciated. 



My cousin Gord reminded me that his Dad was posted here in WWII. not a bad place to be, but in those days very close to occupied France. 

Time now to sweat our way across town for dinner. Tomorrow we walk the White Cliffs Of Dover! Looking forward to that! 

6 comments:

  1. Gas prices are high here…and we actually had to buy more….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are on your way Geoff. We’re on our way too - taking this in on the bus to Sydney. A good days walking by the looks. Enjoy the white cliffs. We’ve got another 30 hours or so ahead before we hit a bed in Madrid. Best wishes to you both. Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve been thinking about you and hope your flights go as smoothly as humanly possible. We will be waiting for you in the EU!

      Delete
  3. A very pleasant walk to Dover today. Almost looked like it was "down hill" all the way. The early morning start and shadowy trails through the country side coincided nicely with the rising sun and undoubtedly helped to energize your body at the same time Geoff. Nice timing on your part too Annemarie. Good move to take the bus. Look after each other. Cheers Dad .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day of walking! Your photo of the sign at the gas station reminds me of the fellow I met the other day. "I drive a Chevy Silverado to work," he said. "Gas is so expensive! It's all Trudeau's fault." Say what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, always seems to be the way.

    ReplyDelete