Saturday, April 25, 2020

Santo Domingo - Grañon, Just 7 kms

The Place of Sunrises

I woke very early this morning and went quietly downstairs where I made a pot of tea and sat down in my favourite chair. It was raining outside and the forecast wasn’t looking too good. I was going to read, but decided to quickly check the tv news, something I never do in the morning. I did say it was very early. To my surprise there was an FA Cup replay on between MANU and Chrystal Palace just starting, going back to 2016. Knowing the outcome, but not remembering all the details I started to watch a pretty entertaining game that went to double overtime before it was decided. 2-1 United, who were down to 10 men. I was able to celebrate all over again, a life time United fan. I did say it was early and raining!

Annemarie made an appearance and we decided to hold off on our walk hoping the rain would stop. So I decided to entertain myself and continue with my PPP, Pandemic Painting Project, and headed off to scrub walls in the basement hall way. Yup, I’ve now left the main floor painting behind for now and I’m painting in the basement. A hall way that hasn’t seen a paint brush in 26 years through three active kids, their many friends and our dear departed pup Moriah. As I scrubbed the walls it was like I was washing away a colourful past. Old spills, paints and markers, coffee splashes as the kids grew up and lord knows what else. It was almost like a miniature archeological site as I pulled back the layers of dirt on the walls and doors. I kept mumbling to myself “How did it ever get this bad?", "Won’t it look amazing when I’m done.” . 

Finished before noon I climbed out of the basement to find the sun was breaking through. Move quickly! Time to get our Saturday walk in before the weekend hordes come to the same conclusion. So we set out to walk our Camino only to discover that the winds are howling, though it’s oddly warm. We almost immediately come upon a downed tree across the trail, and after climbing through its many branches we continue on our way. Should have taken a photo, but it was early in the walk and I wasn’t quite into Camino mode yet. I was busy adjusting my 30 kg virtual pack: ) The trails were fairly quiet, but we knew this wouldn’t last.

After about 3 kms folks started to appear on the trail. First out were those whose dogs must have waited all morning with their back legs crossed before they could get out. They were followed by the occasional jogger and then families began to show up. Lastly the weekend folks who still don’t social distance too well made their appearance. I watched two young ladies climb out of separate cars, run to each other for a big, long hug and then get a huge dog out of one of the cars. They took up the whole sideway and were so focused on themselves that they didn’t notice us walkers who were forced out into the road and into traffic. Began to think that going out today in the afternoon wasn’t perhaps the best idea. BC Covid numbers jumped today to 95 from just 23 yesterday. Ummm, perhaps they missed that news item? Generally kidding. Just like everyone else we are getting tired of the social isolation and would like to see our friends in person, not one dimensionally on a computer screen! It grows old, but we will continue to follow the rules as dictated by the science and our fearless level headed leaders. At least here in Canada our leaders aren't directing us to inject ourselves with bleach!! Unbelievable. How did such a clearly unbalanced, uninformed person end up leading a nation with 360 million souls to protect?  I usually stay away from politics on my blogs, but a serious line was crossed last Thursday. It's simply unconscionable. When will the adults in the room step up and deal with this fool? It's time.



The winds continue to wipe through the trees and I know we really shouldn’t be in here when it’s like that. Being an experienced West Coaster I know better. After the heavy rains the past few days and a very wet winter, the trees can release without a whole lot of warning on days like this now that the leaves are almost fully out, converting the tree tops into sails that catch the wind.

We finally abandon the forest trails and head for home on the road. Arriving home, I knew I had to cut the grass again as it’s garden recycling on Monday so I do this as quickly as possible. Perhaps too quickly as I slice my head on the sharp edge of the metal garden shed. Now that I'm hair challenged I wear a hat outside all the time and unfortunately this mean I hit things visually blocked by the visor. Hate that! That was the third cut on the top of my head in the past 3 weeks. Clearly I’m forgetting to strategically duck!!

Our local reality camino is more work than the virtual one, and for that matter most caminos I've ever walked. The good news is that there's little risk of me putting on any weight during the virus siege, despite Annemarie's best efforts to set new baking records!

And on that note I'll turn to our virtual Camino. We are presently walking very short stages as we drag our feet across the last 30 kms to Belorado where we will meet the rest of the crew on Monday evening (Tuesday lunch time in Oz). Daily we are walking nice long distances here at home, but on the Camino we are using this opportunity to stop at places we’ve meant to stop and didn’t have enough days when crossing to do so. Tonight we are stopping in Grañon where our local CCOP chapter trains hospitalerios to work as volunteers in the albergues. Annemarie has taken the course, and the Canadian focus is centred on the church based albergue in Grañon. By all reports a stay there is supposed to be a wonderful camino experience. When full they put people on mats in the church, I believe up in an area overlooking the choir stalls. Correct?

As usual we departed Santo Domingo early after a quick breakfast.

That's the long bridge on the left with a small chapel as one exits town.

In 2013 when we walked out we looked back towards town and found a most interesting sky.



I thought this was pretty good, but in 2018 when I looked back towards Santo Domingo I was more than a little surprised and pleased with what I saw.

After about 10 minutes and a few photos, as with most sunrises and sunsets, the show began to ebb.

Eventually I thought the show was pretty much over and I snapped this last photo...

...then turned, and walked on.

However, a few minutes later I glanced over my shoulder and I was very surprised to see that the show wasn't quite over yet. Mother Nature seemed to have forgotten something, and decided to share an even more spectacular show with me. I stopped, completely alone, and just took it all in. It was one of those Camino moments that sometimes brings a couple tears to my eyes. I can still feel the emotion of that moment.

The sky was on fire from end to end. In front of me,

and behind me. Everything was awash in that delightful early morning light.

And then it was finally time to pull myself together and walk on. I think with what they call, a spring to my step!

It was during this same section in 2013 that Annemarie and I really became embroiled in our first flock of sheep. They came out of the gate and turned directly for us!

When we came face to face, the leaders briefly halted.

But just like that, pressure from the rear forced the lead bunch to surge forward and we were amongst the sheep. Very cool!!

Then being sheep, they did what sheep usually do, and turned to follow us.

We knew that this wasn't what the shepherds and their dogs wanted, and we had the presence of mind to stop and wait for them to turn the flock. With a relieved thank you, the shepherds everyone got sorted out and moving in the right direction.

This was to be the first of many sheep encounters, and as they say, the first is always special!

Into town and the albergue. That's Annemarie on the bench attending to nher feet.



Inside the church. 2013.

2018. Same theme, different version.




So we will press on to somewhere just down the road tomorrow. To be determined.

Now time for pizza, beer and a movie with our distanced children and partners. The amazing thing about modern technology. Three different cities brought together for a couple of hours! Special.

Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment