Monday, April 24, 2017

Uwajima: Maintenance Day, Sun & Cloud, 24

Bulls!

Well, I guess a rest day never hurt anyone. I felt the urge to get up at 5 and prepare for the day, but then I happily remembered that I didn't have to so I just hung out in bed until 8:30. I Skyped with my lovely daughters in Malta and then I enjoyed a morning shower! Such a treat. However even the Tour de France riders can't rest on their laurels on an off day during the race, so I was soon on my way to take in a bit of sight seeing and to sort out a few chores. The good with the less good:)  

Of course the castle had to be on top of a hill with huge sets of stairs to get there. 
 
 
A pretty nice castle, it was built over 400 years ago and is one of the few remaining castles in Japan which remains standing in its original form and was occupied by the Date Clan, a Samurai family.  
 
 
The views from the top of the structure are pretty good. I didn't realize the size of the city until I climbed up here. It's a real hub city with supports for the entire area and surrounds the castle.
 
 
While I was up there I watched the ongoing battle between the crows or ravens, as was the case today, with the larger falcon like birds. They battle endlessly and I watch them every day as I walk. Today it was a pair of ravens fightinging it out with the falcon. The photo shows a raven descending at full throttle through the trees trying in vain to get at the larger falcon who has taken shelter on a smaller branch just below the raven. 
 
I descended back into the city and went in search of some Vaseline for my feet, but of course found a bakery first. Annemarie has trained me well! Ok, then the Vaseline. A short walk to a massive drug store. I also found the way out of town for tomorrow morning, so things are coming together. Always amazed at the small shrines and temples tucked away. 
 
This city is also famous for its bull fights, and I'm not clear about how this works, but every year in July there is a festival attached to this activity. There are bull signs everywhere including in the sidewalks, another feature well known to this city. I'm thinking the bulls fight each other, but I'd be guessing.
 
  
There are bull masks hanging in many places...face it, they like their bulls!
 
Even outside the train station...bulls! Perhaps they should offer bull rides up to the castle?
 
I returned to my small, but comfy room to run my last bit of laundry through and then planned out the last part of Golden Week which begins this Friday night in just 4 days. It was a challenge, but by some fortune the young woman at the front desk had a little English and was only too pleased to make a series of phone calls for me. It appears that I won't be camping out in my clothes, a relief. It was hard to find places that weren't completely booked out, but it's done and at least I'll have a roof, a bed and a meal. What more can a Henro ask for? A key place that I wanted to stay at before a long, steep climb to T66 was unavailable, so I'll have a beast of a day with that climb at the very end of 30 some kms. Such is life. There will also be a 40+ kilometre day, but that's ok too. At least it's decided and I've learned to trust that it will all simply work out. I have looked ahead and project that I'll complete at T1 around May 11 or 12 if all goes well...17-18 more stages. How nice!! I'll likely have to reschedule my flight home. Will see, it's always difficult to predict these things, and I'm in no hurry.

Ok, time to go downstairs to the kombini and find some cheap dinner. I wonder what's left on the shelves? I already have a small bottle of French wine underway, a nice change from the beer. Then I'll get myself packed for the morning and finally kick back and watch a movie. A nice end to a maintenance day!!

Hope everyone at home is well. Vancouver Linda, I'm sorry to hear about your impending back surgery. I wish for you the same success I had with my own, now some 13 years ago. Where has the time gone?? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of a movie title: Geoff Travers's Day Off. You needed one, after the amount of ground you've covered over the past few weeks.

    And you chose a nice place for a rest day: castles and shrines and shopping. What more could you ask for?

    Too bad about the 40 km plus day(s) ahead, but you can do it. You know where to put the vaseline to avoid chafing, right?

    Enjoy the walk today!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff

    Glad you have enjoyed your day off. You are sounding primed and ready for the next part of your journey. It's interesting to hear of the focus on bulls in this city - not something we were expecting in Japan. Speaking of which, we heard yesterday that our friend Kate has finished the Sanabres and has walked into Santiago with her sister - she had a ball although she said the way was a bit confusing in places because of new roadworks. We also read a good reflection from our friend Mike who is just walking out of Salamanca so halfway along the 'Plata'. Given that it is probably about three years since you were in this same spot we'll email it in a seperate document for you to read if you would like. Have a good walk tomorrow. Neil and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed reading his account of the Plata. A classic Spanish walk. Loved it!
      The Sanabres was a mess of construction disruption when I walked through there three years ago. I walked the north end of it this past summer and there was no construction disruption until arrived in Santiago itself.

      Delete