Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Stage 13: Yasu - Kochi, T28-T30, 30 kms, cloud, wind, sun, 20

Sakura & Rice

The location of our accommodation was quite amazing. Here is a late afternoon photo,
And then a photo from our window taken at 4 am. Don't ask. 
Having a sunny day to enjoy was much appreciated. I always like a sunny day! The cherry blossoms were nearing their zenith and just a week ago there was major concerns that there wouldn't be adequate water to permit planting of the rice. All that changed this week with the heavy rains, and now there is so much water that they are draining the rice fields and the rivers are filling very quickly.  We had a very long day with a long walk, then finding me some amazing wet pants and then discovering our hotel room was an adults only theme room! Wild and crazy times here on the Ohenro! We were fortunate because the advertised wifi wasn't available and so I told him we were leaving. Not to mention the room door was controlled from the front desk so we couldn't get out and it also stunk of cigarette smoke. We stood outside the hotel, such as it was, and booked another hotel and arrived there 11 hours after we set out this morning. A long day! We have showered, gone out for dinner and now are vegging out! Given I'm having a rough time staying awake as I write this and it's heading for 10pm, I thought a few photos from the day would be ok.
T28, Dainichiji...
 
  
Passing the Sakura and  rice fields on our way to T29, Kokubunji.
 
 
 
 
Some excitement along the way...were well wished by a whole class of preschoolers.
 
And there were trains!
 
And a reconnection with Kazuki, the young fellow who had injured his knee and we lost track of each other until today.
 
Then more rice paddies, which was very cool as we walked right through them! 
 
But then we realized that somehow with the Kazuki reunion we'd missed the turn through the paddies to T29. So. I headed back in that direction while Annemarie and Kazuki walked on to T30 with the plan that I'd catch them there in about 9 kms. 
 
 
 
The lunch horns and whistles had sounded so I had a very quiet walk through the fields with only a few farmers sorting things out. Planting the crops and draining the too full fields. 
 
 
It was a good opportunity to begin to prepare myself to walk on alone. Our time together is rapidly coming to an end and there is a bit of a mental adjustment required for the next stage. I'm looking forward to it very much, but it just needs a bit of a mind shift. I've walked solo a number of times in the past few years, so I know what to expect. Just a shift.
 
It was a quick 9 kms as I didn't want to leave Annemarie too long given her foot was causing her so much problem. I needn't have worried because all the Japanese guys were chatting with her, wondering where I was, and why she was walking, etc. They are much more likely to approach her when I'm not around. We think it's a cultural thing...also I'm a lot bigger than they are:)  I'm a giant amoung men here! We said goodbye for now to Kazuki at T30 who was waiting for a friend. I suspect I will catch him up again down the road in a few days. These two had a great time visiting on the way to T30, Zenrakuji.
 
We will stay in Kochi tomorrow and walk out from here to 2-3 temples. I bought rain pants today...gortex, super light. I'll be sorting through my gear to send a few things back with Annemarie. Let's see, I don't need my sandles, rain coat, head lamp, chop sticks....

Time for bed...so tired, but a good tired. Sleep in tomorrow...no rush and no pack tomorrow:)
 







 


7 comments:

  1. So many questions! Why so early? You bought rain pants? You walked 39 km? And that hotel--a knocking-shop?

    Carry on walking! Fingers crossed for another dry day!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why so early?? Yup rain pants cause the high winds lift my poncho, and I have to wear pants in Japan, not my typical shorts. Will send my gaiters home too now that I have long rain pants. Will dump about a kilo out of my bag while here. The hotel was an adult hotel that Annemarie misunderstood. You wouldn't likely stay there! I walked 30 including the backtrack to T29. Ill lengthen my stages when alone, but too long on these roads can hurt you, so I'll be careful about that. I'm finding 30-33 kms a nice distance. Will see. Lots of climbing ahead which will force shorter days on those occasions. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Also, do you get a free puppy as a Henro?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got some sun today - don't you appreciate it after a few days of rain. It's a beautiful autumn morning here today so we are soaking it up too. Glad you managed to sort the hotel thing too - could have been, well, interesting!!! The rice paddies look amazing, it probably takes you back to your time in Bali. One more walking day for Annemarie - c'mon feet you can do it!! Have a great day. N and S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did great today. Her foot is sore and blistered, but her heart is full from this journey:)

      Delete
  4. It was nice to see a photo of you Geoff, your always behind the lens. ;)

    ReplyDelete