Saturday, May 20, 2023

Day 6: Stage 5: Sansepolcro, 27kms, sun, 23°😎

An Italian Sunday Experience 


(I walked the left side path)

After a better night (despite the party in town which went on until the wee hours) I made a quick breakfast and left my nice little apartment as the motorcycle crews were arriving to prepare the bikes for the days racing. 

This was a very welcome surprise! Where have you been? 

I walked across the river and out of town waving goodbye to an enjoyable stop! 
I walked down the highway being mindful of the traffic. It never really materialized on a Sunday morning. Fine with me. 
Every day I’m greeted by more and more fields of beautiful red poppies. I’m unclear why my own gardens don’t have any growing together with their yellow/orange cousins. I’ll have to sort this out when I return home. 

I jumped off onto a secondary road that passed under the auto strata and found myself back in the quiet countryside which is so wonderful to wander through in Italy. 

Very quickly I left the road to begin climbing. Really pretty as I looked back. 

The view only improved as I climbed. There was lingering mud in parts, but over it was a big improvement over the last couple of days. 

Eventually I reached the top of the climb some 3/400m  from where I began. 

I was pretty pleased with all the warm sun and blue sky. Even the flies couldn’t change this! 
It was a beautiful, long descent to the reservoir. 

Lower down I passed by this country home called ‘Casanoma’. What a great place to live! Annemarie?😂

Just about down and back into the poppy zone! 

As I walked past these homes people began to interact with me. Always special when this happens! 

The bridge I was looking for came into sight. 

There you go Rob. Selfie of the Day! Stripped down to minimal walking garb today. Made my pack heavier, but a fair trade off to get the warmth and sun. My shirt was soaked at the end of the stage. Too much vino rosso last night? 
Back on a main road again there was signage! Unfortunately this sign suggested that the cows I’d been looking for to send to the kids on video lived in the other direction!🤨 I kept looking. 

Then across the bridge..,
…and past the dam holding all this water back. 

I learned last year that Sunday means bicycles on the trail, spandex clad riders on the roads and motorcycles roaring past at high speeds. It hasn’t changed since last year. But on such a beautiful day it was expected. 

I eventually turned off on to a side trail that took me through a condemned and decaying old village. 

From there it was onto a dyke following a small stream that made the walking really enjoyable. 


This went on and on. 

This went on for quite a distance. There were also regular signs that posted warnings in 4 languages about sudden releases from the upstream dam. I guess that’s why I was walking on a dyke. 

This scene reminded me of North Vietnam. The rice like looking crop, the long road running away from the highway to a small community and the flat landscape. Funny what pulls up a memory. 

I eventually reached town, a walled city, to find it pretty much shut down. 

I had a look round then headed for my hotel located in an older building with very thick walls. My room is located above the ristorante on the right. 

I walked up to the family run restaurant no doubt looking pretty road weary to find the place full of Italian families enjoying their Sunday lunch. I asked if they were still serving lunch and was told to take a bit of time cleaning up and then come back down and a table would be ready for me. It was. 

I took this photo after many of the families had departed. Three generations at most tables. Several celebrating a confirmation of one of their children. Cakes for dessert. The works. 

Now everyone is gone except for the family and myself. They told me I could stay here to write because the wifi in the rooms isn’t good. Thick walls. 
I think what I’ve watched here was more interesting than the walk today. It was good, but this provided a deeper look into family interactions. I felt like the proverbial fly on the wall. 

In case you are wondering, the food was excellent. I had a late lunch because most places will be closed. I have some food with me if I get hungry later. I’ve just been told by a couple of the people working her that this restaurant is also a cooking school. 

It will be a quiet evening here. Typical for an Italian Sunday. Looking out the window I can see that people are out in the streets now for their evening stroll. A time to socialize with neighbours. Maybe I’ll go for a little walk too! 


5 comments:

  1. Hey Geoff, glad you got some sunshine after yesterday’s rain - mind you it looks like you got into that too! I haven’t felt more than a few drops since leaving Alméria at Easter but I’ve noted to myself on numerous occasions when walking through a dry creek bed or on a dirt road how different this walk would be when there is rain!! I enjoyed that nice stage to Tábara on the Sanabrés today. Cheers mate, and good walking tomorrow. Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Geoff, enjoy, glad you"ve dodged the floods, we were quite worried when we saw the news

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way that's Corfula and John here in Morocco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geoff. Much improved hiking today versus yesterday. Countryside looked green and beautful and relatively dry underfoot too. Our old weatherman in Vancouver would have described today as a "very useable day". Hope the dry trend continues
    Erin, Zeth and Avery will be arriving shortly for a visit . Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ate lunch at a cooking school! You are living the dream. Ken

    ReplyDelete