Thursday, May 25, 2023

Day 11: Stage 9: Ripa, 34 kms, Hot!, 33°

R-I-P-A!!😎



As planned I was up, fed, geared up and out the door early in an effort to beat some of the heat expected today. I also wanted to get ahead of the morning traffic because for part of the day I was going to be on a highway and I wasn’t sure just how busy it would be.

I passed quietly by the World War II war memorial, where the Nazis had taken retribution against the citizens of Gubbio after Italy who was rid of Mussolini, and began to support the Allies movement up the Italian peninsula. 

Of course by now you know who this is and what he managed to pull off with a local wolf. Skilled guy! St. Francis is everywhere I go. He certainly created a lasting legacy, and Sainthood only served to further enhanced his story. Must have been a fascinating person. 

I don’t think I’ve done a shadow shot yet. A tradition of any Cammino! You will have probably noticed that there are no sunrise pictures on this walk, so far. When I’ve walked at this time of year in Spain I would enjoy many sunrises. That’s because Spain is so far westward in the same time zone and Italy, being so much further east, has a much earlier sunrise. Does that make sense?


There seems to be some sort of new Harry Potter thing going on, Bryan? I saw it advertised in Gubbio as well. 

After crossing the valley floor I found myself again on the climb. These are more like large hills as opposed to the mountains I’ve temporarily left behind. I’ll get back to those mountains in a few days.


What is with these Italian cats? This cat looks a little like Costanza’s cat, Sylvester.  Right Costanza?



Looking back to Gubbio. 










Here I am again after several days outside of the blog! 

I eventually arrived to a point where I had access to the main highway, and it was here that I left the stage route. 

I found that construction zones helped slow the big trucks down, but they were generally pretty careful around me.

Somewhere down there is the route that leaves Gubbio and heads towards Assisi in 3 stages. 





I arrived at a small town and found this! No where to stop. So I carried on.



After about 6 km of highway walking I was able to get off onto what I was thought was a quiet country road. All the signage should’ve given it away.
A few minutes after I turned off onto the side road I began to hear motorbikes coming. Mostly they were motocross bikes with the drivers all armoured up. They roared on by and I thought that was the end of it. They kept on coming for the next hour and a half. I gave up counting after about 123 motorcycles passed by. There had to be over 200. All I could think was that it’s so unfortunate this was in such an idyllic setting. There were all sorts of private homes and small farmsteads here. I imagine that this noise goes on day after day, week after week during the warm season. One thing I do know is that I will be on at least 30+ videos because there was a GoPro’s on every other rider! 



I had a little chuckle as I walked through this small village. There was an old fella with a walker sitting quietly in the sun. I wondered if this is where long-distance walkers end up once they can no longer walk due to hip and knee problems.🫤

The whole time I walked along here the motorcycles continued to race past in groups ranging from 2 to 10.

It was clear to me that this fellow walking his horse was not impressed with all the motorcycle noise. The poor horse didn’t appear too impressed either. Or maybe I was wrong, and people don’t mind these loud motorcycles racing the roads. It’s a different culture. 
I eventually turned off onto an even smaller dirt track that I somehow managed to find when I was figuring out this route. One lone motorcyclist passed me very early on, so I knew that the track would at least go all the way through.





I eventually made it down to the small town of Piarello, where I was able to get a cold drink and a lousy sandwich in a tiny bar. From there, I continued up the road because I had sourced a supermercado! There are no restaurants or bars in Ripa. This meant that I had to pick up some food for my dinner tonight. I’m staying in a B&B which, of course means the breakfast is taken care of, but I needed supplies for tonight. These stores are always nice to find.

My backpack full of groceries I began walking in search of Ripa. You’ve got to like that name! Ripa!!

I think that’s looking back towards Assisi where I will be on Monday night. I plan to walk into Perugia tomorrow, take a zero day there and walk onwards to Assisi on Monday. This will give me a chance to spend a little more time in these interesting cities. Part of the reason that I have come here.

I arrive at the front gate of Ripa!

It’s been a freaking hot day on the open trail, most of it on hard pavement. However, my body has handled it pretty well, and I am no worse for wear. It will be a shorter day tomorrow, and I should have the best part of half a day in Perugia. 

I will try to remember to post some photographs from Ripa in my blog tomorrow. This entry is long enough and I still have to enjoy my cold meal with hopefully a still cool beer!🍻

2 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff. What a great exploration. you had today. I am so impressed with the beauty of the Foothills country and villages you passed through today .Certainly partially makes up for the mud and other inconviences you encountered in the first few days after your arrival. To some extent the foothills and countryside remind a bit of the foothills in Alberta extending from Banff southward to the U.S. border but I do think that the country you passed through today is hard to beat. In addition the mountain villages you passed through have their own beauty and charm dating as they do so many hundreds of years ago -sometimes destroyed during war years and rebuilt again years later.
    As I have said before "enjoy the moments - very special indeed.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a hot day. What is a sadder sight to the hungry wayfarer than a shuttered bar? Ken

    ReplyDelete