Friday, June 26, 2020

Negreira - Olveiroa, 33 kms

Getting Closer to the Coast

We've been coming and going lately with the phase 3 reopening and the fact that there has only been a single new covid case on our island in the past 5 weeks. As a result I haven't been able to update the virtual blog, though we have been walking Quite a bit. I thought I’d start with random photos from our many recent walks.















Relaxing by our veggie garden yesterday afternoon.




On the virtual Camino here are a few photos from June 2014 taken after walking the Plata. I have no memory of our destination tonight as I walked through in 2014 without stopping and walked onwards  another 16 kms to Cée on the Atlantic coast. Fortunately Ken stopped here and has sent me his memories for his stage walked in October 2013. I've posted these after the photos.

I do remember it being very hot and that there was way too much road walking which was hard on my road hardened feet. Not enough for any blisters this late into a long distance 1,100+ km journey, but tough nonetheless. It was a 40 km stage which would have added to things. These covid days I’d happily walk that far if I could be tramping along a camino now: ) I would have been in northern Italy presently, 4 weeks from Rome. Today I started an online planning file for 2021, lol! 











Lots of typical Galician buildings.











This was the unusual gallery cemetery with bell tower located about 4 kms before our evening destination.

Almost in.

Ken's notes from staying in Olveiroa;

I was grumpy yesterday evening, but it fixed my mood by getting involved: someone (Mallory) proposed a communal dinner and I walked down to the store to help carry supplies, including wine, which I donated (€10, why not?). It was great fun helping cook, eating the good food, including the cake the Italian guys put together--it was just great. I’m so grateful for that.
But I’m staying at a private albergue tonight for two reasons. One, I’m hoping to meet Kathy here and find out about her trip to the dolmens. Two, there was no toilet paper at the municipal last night and the hospitalera really didn’t care. It bothered me, even though I had enough of my own. It’s not right. For 6 more Euros, I got toilet paper and an attached bar, where I’m writing this. 
Grateful that it only drizzled today instead of storming--a serious rain with that wind would’ve been awful. Grateful that there’s internet here. That I have a bed. That I got to walk with Alan: the conversation was enjoyable and the company helped keep me going. 
Grateful that the way I adjusted my pack this morning made it more comfortable, for the cafés along the way, even though my map says expect no services, for the promise of a meal here tonight.
I don’t know if I want to walk back, though; this is taking most of my strength, and tomorrow is another long day demanding an early start etc. Any day over 30 km isn’t fun.

Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment