Friday, April 27, 2018

Stage 4: Prizzi -Castronovo Di Sicilia, 25 kms, cooler, cloud and sun, 20

Pasta! 

Yes, I've heard everyone! So the title is 'pasta' and here's a photo of our brilliant lunch yesterday.

And here is a photo of our cannoli that was an ossetti dessert! Every town joins an annual competition to determine the best in the world and last year Santa Cristina Gela won bragging rights. However, this being a huge Sicilian mania, everyone still will tell you that their cannoli is the best regardless of the competition:)

I may have to cut this short, but will complete later as our hosts are going to show us this historic town and then take us to their farm for a fresh cooked Sicilian meal. When I found this place on line I just knew that we would have to stay here. Everything we'll eat will be natural and grown or raised on their farm. It's our most expensive stop on Sicilia, but at €60 or $95 with dinner and breakfast it's a bargain. 

After lunch yesterday we went climbing up through this medieval town, twice! This is the highest town in Sicilia at 1,050 m. So everywhere you go requires a climb at least one way. A few photos.





We also had an amazing view back to the pass we traveled through from the top and you can believe me when I say that the drop was straight down...no barrier!

The 5 of us gathered for dinner and were very well looked after. Lots of fun to have others to talk with.

This morning up a little later as the bar wouldn't open for us until 7:15 which put us on the road at 7:45. It was much cooler and we even had to put our pack covers on at one point as a little rain fell off and on for a while. We all left town together and as usual we had fun trying to find out how to depart. Unlike the Spanish and French routes there are no way markers to direct you and you must as directions.

Eventually we found the route and then as we walked we separated with we two heading off at a nice clip towards the first climb. We never saw the others again and I think that everyone was looking for their own space today as has generally been the case since we arrived. Always nice to meet up at the end of the day, a Camino thing. I like this photo with the Orange house. Lis I think we will paint our house this colour! Thoughts? 

The walk up the first climb was pretty nice, but it cooled and rained as we approached to top. This is at the bottom shortly before we lost touch with the others.





Coming down the other side.

There were other critters on the road today. You'll know who I mean:)

Of course...

And...

Flowers everywhere. My friend in Germany told me that in the summer it's brown and black as they have to burn the old crop stubs to recharge the soil. Hard to believe all the green we are finding. But no complaints. It's brilliant! 



We meet a fellow obviously living rough from the Czech Rep. who has a fully loaded push/glide bike and he's heading for the climb as we walk down into Castronovo. We've seen many interesting sights on our walks and after a nice chat he's on his way. 

We arrive at a bakery, all that's open in town in the early afternoon so we satisfy ourselves with what we can find and one of the young women working there takes us to our B&B. 

This is the Magna version of Santiago cake! Orange flavours and I think I like it better. Developed by the above award winning chef. 


So now we go for a walk with our lovely young host and she will take us to her parent's farm for dinner afterwards. A nice experience I think. Will report tomorrow.

Buon Cammino!

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys. Sounds like another great day. Wow, the food and the scenery are both stunning. I love the photo of the snail too. Nicely done, bro. I've just got home from Benedictus with my last responsibilities done. Tomorrow, I go for my final lake walk in the morning (complete with pack loaded with rocks) and then it's off for a few last minute gear purchases and off to the airport. I may be incommunicado for a while. I'll wave as I fly over you on the way to Barcelona. Maybe you could throw me some of that cannelloni!! Best, Neil

    ReplyDelete