Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Stage 1 For Real!: Monreale - Santa Christina Gela, 20 kms, sunny and warm, 25

Gekos Galour!


There are plenty of these little guys running around us as we walk up the trails and roads, but this was the only one who agreed to a photo! Very colourful and a nice distraction to keep us in the present moment. 

Today we were up early and after a bit of fruit and yogurt we headed off hoping to find our first marker. 

We did! 

Then something more official.

We also saw our first pelegrino at the cathedral which was reassuring.  The walk started with brilliant views back to Palermo 

though  sadly the road was quite littered with garbage thrown from passing cars. However, as we progressed we left the garbage behind and began what would become a stage of climbing. A tough way to begin, but I will admit that it felt quite wonderful to be walking again. The spring flowers out in all their glory!

As we climbed the mountains open around us and we had great views back to Monreale. Here are a few of the vistas.



We heard our first Buon Camminos and horn honks today. So it does appear that a few of the locals are familiar with what we are doing which is great. I received my first ossetti yesterday. When we had lunch and were asking about the way out of town and no one seemed to know, one of the bar owners walked out to his other business and brought us back a new high resolution map for Sicily and told us that we would need this. Pretty funny, but very considerate. I'll keep this for the driving portion of our travels. 



I have to keep this a bit quick because I'm on borrowed wifi. 

As we reached our destination and could finally walk downhill for the last kilometre we found ourselves looking into an ancient volcano. It looks like it to me anyway. 



Such a beautiful setting. Our host has fed us at his bar and we have been learning the history of the area with bits and pieces of English. Apparently this area was settled by Albanians 500 years ago and in two villages here, the traditional language is still spoken. As are many other languages. The history is quite amazing! 

We've enjoyed our first beer and now I must hang up. All good here. Maybe we will see more perigrinos tomorrow. Just one other so far. A longer day tomorrow. Looking forward to it as we are told that there will be a huge party awaiting us tomorrow:) Stay tuned.

Buon Cammino!! 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Geoff, I'm glad you are underway. I can detect the excitement in your writing. The place looks stunning. So kind of that guy to give you the map. I did a longer walk today as part of my preparation - perhaps too little too late but surely better than nothing. The pressing matter has been preparing for my final seminar on Friday. I'm working out of town tomorrow so this was my last day to get organised. Four days til departure. Have a great evening and good walk tomorrow. Sarah has arrived in England. Buen camino, Neil

    ReplyDelete